Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,191  
I had some oak logs stacked from a blow over last winter. I cut some of them up into rounds today. I have both a Stihl MS250 and MS261. I wanted to burn a tank through both as they have set for several months. As I was cutting up some pretty good sized rounds with the MS250 I was thinking it has nearly the power of the MS261. The minute I picked up the MS261 I realized I was cutting through the same sized log in less than half the time.
D5B95C8E-ACA7-473F-9E86-A88EE2854FDD.jpeg
24580999-D451-4014-8E7F-6B281220657F.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,192  
I actually time with a stop watch how long it took me to sharpen the chain on my MS261, it was 2 minutes, three minutes if you count putting it back in the case. That’s an 18” bar, not doing the rakers.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,193  
I pulled out a couple more uprooted pine yesterday.

View attachment 769554

The one on the right ran up the slope on the ground and then extended out over the top. I cut the top first like you would a very heavy leaner.

View attachment 769555

Before I cut the bottom I dug the dirt out with a trowel best I could. On the first cut I could tell the stump was most likely going to sit back. Stuck a single wedge for insurance anyway.

View attachment 769556

And sit back it did - very sudden and violent. Look at the stump and ground.

View attachment 769560

View attachment 769564

The butt of the other tree was in the air.

View attachment 769562

The stump also set back but in a much milder fashion.

View attachment 769563

Looking from the top. Warm enough to make the sap flow. :(

View attachment 769565

I made a video of winching these up the hill then through a small opening and down to the tractor trail. The camera timed out just as I was going to to winch the log in the road to the tractor for the first hitch. Like winch work it takes patience to watch. I put a vibration damper on the camera so the quality is better. About 7:00 minutes or so I am looking for a choker. I thought I brought up two on the first trip but it was gone. I watched the video and saw that I left it on the ground then winched a log over it. Went out and found it right there covered in duff :)

View attachment 769566

I put the camera on the front and made a video of the 10 minute skid out . I pass under the last pine for tomorrows work and then a spruce I pulled half over a couple days ago when I hung a snatch block on it and it wasn't up to the task.

gg
Thanks for sharing and the ride along. (y)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,195  
Those are very nice logs and that's a nice piece of property Mr. Gordon.

The muddy section looks like it could be a challenge depending on the weather...

Running your trail video at double speed had me leaning in my easy chair dodging the limbs. Not quite a carnival ride, but way more enjoyable!

Thanks for creating it.
Terry

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,196  
^^^^ I pay attention to Gordon, Sawyer Rob, Jstpssng...well, actually to most of the guys posting on this thread!!!

Haven't heard from Mr. Hunt in a while though....
Yeah, I've been hiding or something... I'm still around though!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,197  
I pulled out a couple more uprooted pine yesterday.

View attachment 769554

The one on the right ran up the slope on the ground and then extended out over the top. I cut the top first like you would a very heavy leaner.

View attachment 769555

Before I cut the bottom I dug the dirt out with a trowel best I could. On the first cut I could tell the stump was most likely going to sit back. Stuck a single wedge for insurance anyway.

View attachment 769556

And sit back it did - very sudden and violent. Look at the stump and ground.

View attachment 769560

View attachment 769564

The butt of the other tree was in the air.

View attachment 769562

The stump also set back but in a much milder fashion.

View attachment 769563

Looking from the top. Warm enough to make the sap flow. :(

View attachment 769565

I made a video of winching these up the hill then through a small opening and down to the tractor trail. The camera timed out just as I was going to to winch the log in the road to the tractor for the first hitch. Like winch work it takes patience to watch. I put a vibration damper on the camera so the quality is better. About 7:00 minutes or so I am looking for a choker. I thought I brought up two on the first trip but it was gone. I watched the video and saw that I left it on the ground then winched a log over it. Went out and found it right there covered in duff :)

View attachment 769566

I put the camera on the front and made a video of the 10 minute skid out . I pass under the last pine for tomorrows work and then a spruce I pulled half over a couple days ago when I hung a snatch block on it and it wasn't up to the task.

gg
You must get a lot more wind than I do I hardly ever get any blowdowns.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,198  
So I found this guy the other day, not sure what to do with it. The top is hung up in a neighboring tree and I cant cut that one down without this one coming down on top of me! Its way back in the woods and I may just let nature take its course, I also thought about packing the split with a couple bottles of tannerite and having a go at it!!
No decision yet.
IMG_8731.JPG

IMG_8732.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,199  
So I found this guy the other day, not sure what to do with it. The top is hung up in a neighboring tree and I cant cut that one down without this one coming down on top of me! Its way back in the woods and I may just let nature take its course, I also thought about packing the split with a couple bottles of tannerite and having a go at it!!
No decision yet.
View attachment 769706

View attachment 769707
Load up your 45/70 with some hard cast bullets and 'attack it'.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,200  
Load up your 45/70 with some hard cast bullets and 'attack it'.
Well... despite my screen name I no longer own a 4570 ;-( , had my shoulders redone and a 45/70 carbine kick was a little much. Had a contender pistol in 45/70 but then bought a 500 S$W revolver and it will do anything the 4570 will, so off it went also. Pretty big tree to go after it that way, hence the tannerite idea.