Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,522  

Duds, you're about 2 hours from me, I used to be up in your neck of the woods daily about 25 years ago driving through Albany, Saratoga, & Amsterdam. Nice area too.
A guy around the corner from me has a small Syrup operation, tries to do 300-400 taps, but I think he usually ends up just shy of 300. Its a fun little operation.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,523  
Duds, you're about 2 hours from me, I used to be up in your neck of the woods daily about 25 years ago driving through Albany, Saratoga, & Amsterdam. Nice area too.
A guy around the corner from me has a small Syrup operation, tries to do 300-400 taps, but I think he usually ends up just shy of 300. Its a fun little operation.
That's awesome! It's a great place to live, quiet little hamlet. 300 taps, safe to assume he does tubing?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,524  
That's awesome! It's a great place to live, quiet little hamlet. 300 taps, safe to assume he does tubing?
Yes, not sure on the specifics, but yes, tubing with loops around the tree, all dumping into larger tubes to IBC totes. He pumps up into Totes on truck or trailer, then pumps into the holding tank for the cooker.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,525  
Yes, not sure on the specifics, but yes, tubing with loops around the tree, all dumping into larger tubes to IBC totes. He pumps up into Totes on truck or trailer, then pumps into the holding tank for the cooker.
Very nice, sounds like a great operation! Probably has a pretty big evaporator and RO I would imagine, 300 taps will get you a lot of sap!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,526  
It was a beautiful winter day to be out in the woods - finally after all the warm, wet, and brown. Still moving Christmas storm blow downs off the trails. A couple of Red Spruce.

1_8_23-1.JPG

Limbed them out for stud wood. Grabbed the first top and backed down the trail to where I could put it to the side.

1_8_23-2.JPG

Winched them out into the trail in two pieces each using a snatch block and skidded them to the landing. The minimum stud log is 12'-6" long and at least 6" diameter on the small end. I got 6 logs from those two trees. Nothing to write home about but scavengers can't be fussy.

1_8_23-3.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,527  
My take on a simple log lift and table for my Three point splitter.
I’ve wanted to add a log lift to my splitter for quite a long time, I’m not getting any stronger or younger. I also see the need for a table that one side of the split can rest on and not drop to the ground for me to have to pick up to finish splitting.
I watched a lot of YouTube videos, and I just didn’t want to spend the time and money for a hydraulic or cable driven lift.
It dawned on me that with a three point splitter I actually had the “lift part” already from the tractor. I had some scrap angle from a ramp I no longer use.
I lower the splitter to the ground then roll a log on the table then raise the splitter with the tractor hydraulics. I may add a extension to the end as a ramp for splits to slide off the end into my trailer. There are more steps involved (lowering hydraulics, rolling log onto table, walking back to the tractor lift).But it’s worth the trade off.

Mike

55E8C7F7-9705-411E-BBE3-C0A0454024C6.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,528  
I like your splitter mike. Combo lift and table is a good idea (y)

Some may be interested in this video of a modern highly automated saw mill that I thought was pretty good. Nothing like the local family owned mill that I used for 20 years and is now out of business.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,529  
Thanks for sharing that video Gordon, quite a bit more efficient than my production line😬, I enjoyed watching it.

Mike

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,530  
Wow...!

Makes me want to hug a 2x4. I have a new appreciation for them.

I use local Amish cut wood for Board and Batten siding. Their mill is not quite as efficient...