Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,261  
What was this used for? I found it in the woods, likely logged 100 to 120 years ago. It looks like it could be used as a choke, but it would be awful small for the trees in this area a hundred plus years ago when 3 foot diameter trees were considered weeds.
IMG_2993.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,262  
What was this used for? I found it in the woods, likely logged 100 to 120 years ago. It looks like it could be used as a choke, but it would be awful small for the trees in this area a hundred plus years ago when 3 foot diameter trees were considered weeds.
View attachment 817821
I am not sure. To be honest though, if that had been in the woods for 100 years it likely would be in a lot worse shape than it is.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,263  
I am not sure. To be honest though, if that had been in the woods for 100 years it likely would be in a lot worse shape than it is.
Apparently, Google says it is a boom chain. Used to string boom logs together to contain logs to be processed. I should have known that since I worked at a mill that floated log booms in the salt water, although I did not work the log booms. The perimeter logs had big holes drilled through them. The toggle end of the chain was slipped through the holes on the ends of the logs and linked into the loop end to hold the two log ends together. I don't know how it found its way into the woods. I learned something today.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,264  
I hauled in a few loads of firewood. It will probably be a couple months before it cools down enough that I’ll cut and split them.
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5410.JPG
IMG_5420.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,265  
I have one too!! Just be careful throwing splits in when it's really cold.
The plastic tub gets brittle and can crack with a heavy hit. The dump feature is nice too!
I assembled the Ohio Steel Dump Cart today. The only downside I had was that the tub bottom has hex holes formed to hold the hex bolts in place while tightening the nut end underneath. The bolts spun in the holes, so I had to slip a screwdriver in next to the hex nut to stop it from spinning. Otherwise, a very nice unit, it will haul a lot of firewood in its time here. I like that it has stake pockets formed into the top edge so I can add wood stake sides.
dump cart ohio steel.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,266  
View attachment 817821
Could be a boom chain I suppose. Looks similar to several I have in the old barn my father had called bridle chains. They were looped around the runners of logging bob sleds when going downhill to act as drag brakes so the load wouldn't push the horses and cause trouble. The picture attached shows one. The end ring is missing as father removed it for another purpose. Heavy 5/8 inch chain. I attached a picture of a painting by a local artist titled The Day The Bridle Chain Fell Off. See the chain back on the hill and the result.

Attachments

• A0342898-DB84-4E8D-9A1E-9404C4B379A2.jpeg
    A0342898-DB84-4E8D-9A1E-9404C4B379A2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • 36A41E68-3774-4D1B-A400-8B6154665CC2.jpeg
    36A41E68-3774-4D1B-A400-8B6154665CC2.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 77
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,267  
Apparently, Google says it is a boom chain. Used to string boom logs together to contain logs to be processed. I should have known that since I worked at a mill that floated log booms in the salt water, although I did not work the log booms. The perimeter logs had big holes drilled through them. The toggle end of the chain was slipped through the holes on the ends of the logs and linked into the loop end to hold the two log ends together. I don't know how it found its way into the woods. I learned something today.
You are correct sir. It is indeed a boom chain. My brother in law was a boom man and log tug operator almost his entire working career. The boom sticks were 70' Douglas fir logs, with a 4" diameter hole bored through each end, about 1.5 to 2 feet from the end. The toggle dropped through the hole at one end of the stick, then a pike pole was used to fish the chain end out of the water so you could connect it to the next boom stick, through the ring on the end of the next chain/stick combination. This boom chain looks a little shorter than chains I am familiar with. I think they were usually about 8' long or so.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,268  
You are correct sir. It is indeed a boom chain. My brother in law was a boom man and log tug operator almost his entire working career. The boom sticks were 70' Douglas fir logs, with a 4" diameter hole bored through each end, about 1.5 to 2 feet from the end. The toggle dropped through the hole at one end of the stick, then a pike pole was used to fish the chain end out of the water so you could connect it to the next boom stick, through the ring on the end of the next chain/stick combination. This boom chain looks a little shorter than chains I am familiar with. I think they were usually about 8' long or so.
It might be close to that length; I did not measure it. Probably 6 feet. Here it is stretched out on an old shed wall.
Boom Chain.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,269  
I like that it has stake pockets formed into the top edge so I can add wood stake sides.

I made wood stake sides also but only used them a couple of times. Didn't like the pressure they put on plastic sides.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,270  
Remember this cracked/broken out wheel center?

Resized-20230819-153737-S.jpg

Well, it's a discontinued part, but I found a new one in Germany for $2,200 and that's the only one I found. I checked on having new ones made, Underferth can make them, but they really wanted a blueprint of the wheel from AGCO and there was a two week wait and cost several hundred dollars.

What the above pict. doesn't show, is that the center is bent too, and this is the second one I bent. The first one was replaced by AGCO under warr., but that was LONG ago. What I really wanted was a stronger wheel center, so I decided to have a welding shop cut out the old center, water jet me out a new center out of thicker material, and then weld it in.

Making the thicker center larger in diameter will also add a lot of strength, so here it is,

Resized-20230825-174220-S.jpg

Total cost, $180.00

SR

Last edited: