Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #441  
Gould gould,
no I agree about the amount of people logging. After visiting this site, I'd almost have to say there are as many if not more, with these 3pt hitch winches and such. I meant about driving in through the cutovers without much of a road made first. The poor old tractors would be twisting and spinning and lifting in the air. I wonder even with the armour would the new ones take it, or break in half first. I always loved the old logging photos. Father used to haul it out with horses I belive and then long haul it with the tractors. Maybe 2 cords at a time..4 foot by 4foot height by 16 to 20 feet long. I sometimes worry about the casting and such on the new tractors. I have little experience with the new compact tractors. Nice pictures, it reminds me of here in some places. Very clean woods. I can see how you selected, using the winch. I have been wanting one of those, but Its want.....I have the J5 bombardier which we drive near the piles and don't really need one in most cases ...unless it was steep hill sides. I wish I could post more pictures...but it doesn't seem to work most of the time. out here at work, where i'm trapped for a few weeks, it doesn't allow me to upload a picture 99% of the time.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #442  
I finally figured out how to send photos from this computer...

Attachments

• IMG506.jpg
    IMG506.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 337
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #443  
Your probably one of the few people getting out wood with a bombardier, must work great on soft ground. The closes thing I've used was my fathers 1948 VAI Case tractor with half tracks, I've hauled wood out with a old putt putt John Deere, old cut down GMC woods truck, old Army 6X6, a bulldozer, the best was 540 grapple skidder with heater in the cab, I also used Artic Cat 4X4 ATV and that was the last time I cut 4 foot wood, now days it's tree length on a L3400dt Kubota with a Fransgard PTO winch, I like this way better then cutting wood 4' then load it on trailer, then it falls off, then load it again. This might not count, but back in the day when I was 10 years old, I even hauled out wood with my little red wagon, and that was the first time I cut 4' firewood, it was awhile ago.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #444  
What Sthil is that? Looks good! That's some big timber.
Thanks its a MS660 with 36" bar and Full Chisel Full Skip chain.

XRING you really do look like a genuine lumberjack on those pics in spite of the pink shirt lol

I sure would like to share some pics also but I dont have a camera nor cellphone

I just use my FEL as a winch sorta, hook up the logs with 80' long chains and raise it, logs slides up a few feet, step down from the tractor and shorten the chain , rinse and repeat until the log is close enough so I can skid it easily.

Best thread ever BTW

Thanks, my wife told me the other day that it is her new favorite picture of me. As for the faded red (almost pink) flannel shirt it caries a lot of sentimental value it was one of my dads hunting/ wood cutting shirts he gave it to me 15-20 years ago. It has a lot of miles and years on its probably close to 30 years old. Its starting to fade much like my hairline :laughing:but i can't part with it.

We use a similar method for pulling trees out of the woods between me and my buddy I have 36 feet of chain and he's got a similar amount plus a 100 foot of 1/2" cable which we use only as a last resort.
Someday I'll remember to take my go pro into the woods for some good videos.

As for Cameras they are cheap these days they even have rugged waterproof ones like the nikon coolpix or panisonic lumix etc for $60-80

And a big 'ole bar on that saw!!!

Yeah 36" is plenty of bar for the trees in the lower peninsula. Although i've had a 3 or 4 occasions where found my self cutting from both sides.

Xring,

I've cut up some that large..up to about 40 inches....with my 20 inch saw.

I got a good deal on about 5-7 cord, all 30 inches and up and tree length. The truck that brought it was a commercial log hauler with a grapple and even it had some trouble lifting some of it. The huge pile I had was daunting, considering what I had to do with it. It wasn't easy and I hope never to have to do it again. .. nope, make that WON'T do it again.

This was a few years ago just before I turned 65 and it was all lot more than I wanted to do.

Now that I'm even older, I won't even consider it.

I hear you on the amount of work it takes to cut and split this kind of wood. Its descent work even for a younger lad like myself.
I bought my MS361 with a 20 and 25" bar. It works good with the 20" bar although in hindsight i would have put a 16" bar on it or maybe even bought a MS260 if i knew i was going to end up with the MS660. When all the ash died i found my self cutting down dozens of 25" plus trees. I eventually got tired of the 25" bar with only 4.4 hp. Dead ash take a lot of power and i hated making double cuts. So I bought the MS660 with a 36" bar. Now i use the 660 with a 25" bar most of the time and the 20" on the MS361 but rarely if ever use it to cut anything more than about 8-10"

Dad turned 65 this year I've seen him slow down some in his old age but he still does a pretty good job of keeping up with me. I try not work the old guy to hard but he helped me shingle over 3/4 of my 56'x32' 40'x24' L shaped barn last year. If i didn't have the log lift on my splitter i would have passed on this big wood we try and keep it fairly low to the ground when splitting these big pieces in case one falls off.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #445  
Gould gould,
no I agree about the amount of people logging. After visiting this site, I'd almost have to say there are as many if not more, with these 3pt hitch winches and such. I meant about driving in through the cutovers without much of a road made first. The poor old tractors would be twisting and spinning and lifting in the air. I wonder even with the armour would the new ones take it, or break in half first. I always loved the old logging photos. Father used to haul it out with horses I belive and then long haul it with the tractors. Maybe 2 cords at a time..4 foot by 4foot height by 16 to 20 feet long. I sometimes worry about the casting and such on the new tractors. I have little experience with the new compact tractors. Nice pictures, it reminds me of here in some places. Very clean woods. I can see how you selected, using the winch. I have been wanting one of those, but Its want.....I have the J5 bombardier which we drive near the piles and don't really need one in most cases ...unless it was steep hill sides. I wish I could post more pictures...but it doesn't seem to work most of the time. out here at work, where i'm trapped for a few weeks, it doesn't allow me to upload a picture 99% of the time.

I really wish i had a 3pt winch if i ever buy 80 acres with a lot of timber i'm sure i'll end up with one.
looks like a descent amount of wood in your picture
I found if i have trouble uploading pictures from the smartphone app i have to go in a clear the image cache out found under the settings and about 90% of the time it works. I also have the same problem viewing pictures from the phone clearing the cache seems to work

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #446  
I bought my MS361 with a 20 and 25" bar. It works good with the 20" bar although in hindsight i would have put a 16" bar on it or maybe even bought a MS260 if i knew i was going to end up with the MS660..

I have a 026 and a 261, but have used a 361. Nothing wrong with that 361 saw.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #447  
I have a 026 and a 261, but have used a 361. Nothing wrong with that 361 saw.

Is the 261 much faster than the 026? I have a 024 super with a MS260 topend and it is a dog.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #448  
Whats a putt putt john dear? I've help father use the 540 cable skidder to haul logs in 1990 to build his garage. I think we'd make the wood so dirty hauling it through the woods is the only draw back of hauling it long length here. I want one of those winches though I must say. Is it hard on the tractor? I bought my bother a little 28 hp mahindra 2816 a few years ago, wondered if it would work good on that. Red wagons count.......now shure how to calculate the hp on that though..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #449  
Whats a putt putt john dear? ..

Usually the 1940's -50's John Deere with 2 cylinders - they putt-putt along and are strong. They have big cylinders and long stroke with a flywheel as torque assist.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #450  
Whats a putt putt john dear? ..

Usually the 1940's -50's John Deere with 2 cylinders - they putt-putt along and are strong. They have big cylinders and long stroke with a flywheel as torque assist.