Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,811  
This way works for me on big maple blocks to avoid lifting. Just roll them onto the carry all and tip the splitter up.

BigRound1.JPG

P1110372.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,812  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,813  
This way works for me on big maple blocks to avoid lifting. Just roll them onto the carry all and tip the splitter up.

View attachment 579150

View attachment 579151

gg

I've had good luck doing it this way also, these were big red oaks rounds, I lifted the 3 smaller ones than these, but these were too much. Split the round in half, one half back into bucket, the other stays on beam to go back through. I like the outfeed table more, since the split pieces dont fall to ground, I hate picking them back up to stack, much easier off the table.IMG_20180909_145340.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,814  
I had 3 logs out of 8 that were 42" at the butt this year (fir) they were a little hard for this old man to horse around. . .sorry no pic, but it did happen.

Wow - I'm not sure I would tackle those. I would think a "little hard" might be an under statement. For me a 36" tree is big firewood and most that I have to handle are 26" or less. We do have some four foot plus maples. They are like old matriarchs that have been here 200 years and belong here. I would never cut one and when they go over I just let them be.

BigMaple2.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,816  
I've had good luck doing it this way also, these were big red oaks rounds, I lifted the 3 smaller ones than these, but these were too much. Split the round in half, one half back into bucket, the other stays on beam to go back through. I like the outfeed table more, since the split pieces dont fall to ground, I hate picking them back up to stack, much easier off the table.View attachment 579200

I like that method too. And Like you say - on large rounds having one big piece stay on the table and the other come off in your hands, with out having to chase it or move your feet, so you can just set it back in the bucket is the easiest way. I use the bucket for lifting all size blocks. Just stand in one place and split a bucket full - goes along pretty good.

P1160369.JPG

Another method I like is to block up the logs a couple at a time right on the trailer. Then run them off the trailer and thru the splitter into the wood shed.

Fwdr7.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,817  
I've done this, since flipping the splitter up is annoying.

https://i.imgur.com/8qpa9b2.jpg

I guess I don't find flipping the splitter up annoying. To me it is a big help on pieces I don't want or can't handle in the air. One of the secrets to make it easier in the vertical mode is to use the bucket or carry all to hold the block (round ) at the right angle so it just sits in the splitter bed by it self and you don't have to wrestle with it holding up the back end while you try to run the splitter valve. Also I like the carry all better than working with a bucket. The bucket can get in the way because it is so close but with the carry all you have all kinds of room to move around and handle the splits as they come off.

P1170842.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,818  
I have never done much with wood that I can't lift but when I do I have always gone at it with wedges and a sledge hammer. There's something about splitting wood by hand which I find satisfying. All that I can think of is my father when he was in his 40's cutting down an oak so big and gnarly that after he cut his notch and went through the tree, it just settled down onto the stump like it was still attached. He pulled it over with his 245 Kubota and split that entire tree by hand, and a lot of others over the next few years. The lot had some big old maple trees on it that he hoped to sell for veneer and logs; but after cutting one down and finding it was full of old maple sap spile holes, he turned it all into firewood over the next few years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,819  
I have never done much with wood that I can't lift but when I do I have always gone at it with wedges and a sledge hammer. There's something about splitting wood by hand which I find satisfying. All that I can think of is my father when he was in his 40's cutting down an oak so big and gnarly that after he cut his notch and went through the tree, it just settled down onto the stump like it was still attached. He pulled it over with his 245 Kubota and split that entire tree by hand, and a lot of others over the next few years. The lot had some big old maple trees on it that he hoped to sell for veneer and logs; but after cutting one down and finding it was full of old maple sap spile holes, he turned it all into firewood over the next few years.

I guess I know a little about that. We have been married for 50 years and have relied on wood that we did up our selves since day one. Nothing special, it is just how things were done back then. I broke down and bought my used splitter in 2013. I very first one I ever ran. Still if I have a big friendly looking block, ash maybe or a maple with a crack or seam, I'll take two or three swings at it with the maul. My eye is still good and some split but a lot of them just remind me of what I used to be able to do. Here is one taken 2017

P1160365.JPG

And another May 2010. Used to ride to the landing on the wheeler. Only needed a saw, a maul, 3 wedges, and a sledge hammer. Them were the days.

Splitting.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,820  
Since you guys are talking splitters... I wish I had pictures of the one our local pulp mill has. Massive pipe welded to rails with an axe of 2" or so plate welded vertical and sharpened in the middle. The pipe is at least 5-6 feet in diameter and the whole mess is buried in the ground. Set a 16 foot oversize bam on the rails then push it through with the 988 wheel loader.