Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #81  
My Wood Fence In Ontario, Canada. IMG_1673.jpgIMG_1930.jpgIMG_2072.jpgIMG_2073.jpgIMG_2081.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #82  
It amazes me that the wood dries for the people that shrink wrap it like that. Are the ends of the split wood exposed on yours? I have seen plenty where they are shrink wrapping it with the wrap run horizontally and it surprises me that the wood dries.

Ken

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #83  
My stuff for firewood

It is great to see your Farmall M, Kevin. We had a couple of M's and three or four H's on the farm where I grew up in northern California in the late 40's through early 60's. We used them for planting, cultivating, etc. row crops.

From the spring under the seat and the roller on the drawbar, this looks like a late model M. Are the fenders original? I've never seen them on an M before.

Terry

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #84  
here is my set up. It has been working great until I recently broke my ankle as I slipped on some ice. I am laid up now, no longer able to cut any firewood, but this site makes for some good reading.

another day 001.JPGdayswork 012.JPGcarryall2 004.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #85  
:cool: Well it really ain't free but from the yeilds of your labour. A great satisfying thought though that the oil man doesn't even know your there.:cool:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #86  

i like the fence

here is my set up. It has been working great until I recently broke my ankle as I slipped on some ice. I am laid up now, no longer able to cut any firewood, but this site makes for some good reading.

View attachment 362597View attachment 362598View attachment 362599

that sucks. i feel your pain though i just broke both bones in my wrist sat, i'm out for 2months

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #87  
Woodpile_In_Shed.jpgWoodshed-first snow.jpg

One pic is my new wood shed. The neat stack is only done because I had to get the pile out of the way to put on the roof. The second pic is my usual way of handling wood.

Stacking is such a pain. Doubles or triples the amount of time you are dealing with wood. At a minimum in adds one more handling step. The floor of my woodshed is covered in pallets, so air can circulate through the stack. Consider that a wood stack is a lot more air leaky than a house, and a house will have an air change every hour or so. I don't think that more air than that will dry the wood any faster. The limiting factor is the movement of water inside the wood to the surface.

So I stack some at the edges so I can make the pile higher, but mostly I don't stack.

Normally wood collecting is done in late fall. This year we had a burglary and life has been chaotic. And we've had twice the normal snow

News2014.1-Snowload.jpg

I need to use the snowblower to move the tractor anywhere. With the ground still thawed, it's really easy to get stuck. Even the road side ditch once took me over an hour to get out of.

So I'm spending two hours a day felling, cutting and splitting by hand, and sledding it out with a calf sled. Keeps me fit.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #88  
:cool:All wood is good. Some is just better than others. When someone offers me wood, I just say yes. Find out what kind after. Got a load of hemlock last year. Haven't use it yet but still looks pretty piled up. :cool:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #90  
First we fell and cut it up in the woods, then use the bucket to move it to the trailer staged at the edge of the woods:

0507011108b.jpg

Then we haul out with that

0411121934.jpg

and unload / stack at the house.

0515001143a.jpg

If we need to split something, we do it at the house. But even so, it's only split if it's too heavy to lift. Otherwise it goes into the furnace WHOLE.