Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,011  
IMG_20150310_123014331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_133619930_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_111132537_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150310_133648412_HDR.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,012  
View attachment 416036
It would be nice to have some nice level woods like that. Looks like you could cut out every other tree without reducing the total biomass growth at all and then start over again for years.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,013  
Nice!
In your 3rd pic, you must be up in one heck of a tree stand!:laughing:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,014  
Nice!
In your 3rd pic, you must be up in one heck of a tree stand!:laughing:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,015  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,016  
SawyerRob - Very nice post. I enjoyed it.

One question though not knowing much about milling. Why do you sticker stack and dry the 3X8's verticallly. Are you trying to minimize the crowning vs cupping or twisting ?? Thanks.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,017  
SawyerRob - Very nice post. I enjoyed it.

One question though not knowing much about milling. Why do you sticker stack and dry the 3X8's verticallly. Are you trying to minimize the crowning vs cupping or twisting ?? Thanks.

gg

That's the exact reason... The lumber will dry down to ambient moisture level of the space it's in, and it will take on what ever shape it's in, while it's drying. So, trying to keep it as straight and level as possible while drying is important...

Thanks for the kind words guys...and glad you liked the picts..

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,018  
IMG_20150310_132328627_HDR.jpg

Picture taken from the top of these Black Ash piles thanks for the comments

Sawyer Rob, your name is fitting, great story in your photos

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #1,020  
Am I the only one that got struck by the irony of someone out cutting firewood in the winter in a cabbed tractor? Just out of curiosity does that cab have a wood heater in it?
I don't find that ironic at all. Heating your house with your own wood can save you $3000 or more per winter and a tractor can help you cut enough wood to heat several houses. So do you want to burn middle east oil and send your money up the chimney or make the payments on your tractor?
A cab, soft or hard, makes working in the woods a lot more comfortable and provides protection from hypothermia. A couple of cold days per year will pay for a soft cab and perhaps six to eight for a hard cab.
Yup I'm going to heat my house with wood but I'm not going to cut it with axe and bucksaw nor draw it to the house on a hand sled.