Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,211  
Look what fell into my truck this morning! That's the cheapest I've seen a self releasing snatch block, and he even knocked $10 off! I've been wanting to try the Lock N Lube because some one told me the grease is supposed to go in the machine, not on it:laughing:for $30, and we're expecting a decent snow & my chains are a no no on the customers with paved driveway's so I'm giving the screw in tire studs a try. It better keep snowing or I've surely counted my chickens before they hatched:laughing:

Attachments

• DSCN8451.JPG
    DSCN8451.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN8456.JPG
    DSCN8456.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 270
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,212  
That's the cheapest I've seen a self releasing snatch block, and he even knocked $10 off! :

Some guys have all the luck :D Nice find there. You will like that thing for sure.

Be interesting to hear what you think of those studs. I know studded snow tires on a car are great. My wife and I both run them. Our road has been like bottle for a week since that rain. We have no trouble at all but nobody else can drive on it.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,213  
I say 10-12 feet but could be more. Not real sure to be honest. I usually cut and retreat quickly but without running to where I can as soon as the tree starts to fall. If I can I try to position myself with another standing tree between myself and the felling tree. Due to the thick underbrush I couldn't have gotten back much further without running. Most of the trees I'm cutting are in the 14-16" range. I do agree distance is good but in this case had I been retreating when the upper half snapped instead of watching it would have landed on me.

The other thing is with that big hollow in the middle, there is no telling where the bore cut would have been in relation to the void.

My way of looking at it, is that the BiG man upstairs wasn't ready for you yet, so your guardian angel was along for the ride.

On the other hand, having a clear, safe, easy to traverse escape route ready and planned [Heck, I even rehearse walking it unless it's a wide open flat plain- wouldn't want to trip and fall into a woodchuck burrow] is not optional, preferably in about a 45 degree angle from your planned direction of fall.

God blessed you man, now rehab that thumb!

Thomas

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,214  
Lately my tractor has been lazy, hanging out in the barn next to the plow truck.... Instead I've been using the Gator, which is actually as efficient as the tractor.

I can get 1/2 face cord per load in the Gator, which perfectly fits the 1/2 face cord box in the garage, and lasts us about a week.

1483136493063.jpg1483136510824.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,215  
Clearing out around my little garage out back the last few days with the excavator. Got to chipping today.

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1414.JPG

Going to use some of what's left to keep logs for the sawmill off the ground.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,216  
Look what fell into my truck this morning! That's the cheapest I've seen a self releasing snatch block, and he even knocked $10 off!

$200 is a heck of a deal on a self-releasing snatch block. It looks brand new. I've seen the identical block for sale for $315.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,217  
1483213110117.jpgfriend down the street let me get some fallen trees for firewood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,219  
I did a little splitting today. I also made a short video of the splitter in action.

Nice splitter. I have a Super Splitter and yours appears to be quite similar. Do you need to keep pressure on the actuator the entire time the wood is being split?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,220  
Nice splitter. I have a Super Splitter and yours appears to be quite similar. Do you need to keep pressure on the actuator the entire time the wood is being split?

Thanks! Yes, I need to hold up on the lever the whole time. If I let go it the ram returns.