Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,231  
I don't know if calluses are good but they are definitely a sign. :thumbsup:

I recall my first day as a logger at 16 years old. I brought no gloves. Of course, being the newby, I got all the jobs the pros relegated to the newbys. One of which was unhitching hitches. At lunch time, I just looked at my bloody pulp hands which were now like hamburger. Wire rope or cabling is like handling thorn bushes. One of the veterans came over and handed me a new pair of cotton gloves saying "these will absorb the blood" He then said "you in school kid"? I stated back "yeah" upon which he said "I see schools are making kids stupider and stupider". I have worn gloves ever since and I don't know why which was more important to me then; not to look stupid or to protect my hands.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,232  
Did some chipping last week. These were some material we had cut for posts but it ended up having about 25% punky wood so we didn't' peel them. Instead we chip them and turn the chips into biochar. Ended up with about 400 yards of chips.
IMG_1867 (1).JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,233  
Did some chipping last week. These were some material we had cut for posts but it ended up having about 25% punky wood so we didn't' peel them. Instead we chip them and turn the chips into biochar. Ended up with about 400 yards of chips.
View attachment 493494

I am not familiar with bio char. I've heard you talk about burning chips. What do you burn them in?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,234  
I am not familiar with bio char. I've heard you talk about burning chips. What do you burn them in?

What is the market for bio char?

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,235  
Did some chipping last week. These were some material we had cut for posts but it ended up having about 25% punky wood so we didn't' peel them.

Was it you roadhunter that was checking out & then waiting for a post peeler from Europe? Either I miss the rest of the story or you never finished it:confused3: just curious..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,236  
Was it you roadhunter that was checking out & then waiting for a post peeler from Europe? Either I miss the rest of the story or you never finished it:confused3: just curious..

I finished it in the thread. It was not able to produce like I had hoped. The finished product was not straight enough for the mills in the Black Hills. I sold it to a guy who was taking peeled cedar posts and running them through the PTO peeler to give them a hand peeled look for furniture.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/332831-pto-post-peeler.html

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,237  
First they go through this to make them uniform in size.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,240  
Thanks Roadhunter. That is an interesting process.