Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,661  
Run a few wraps of electrical tape around the end before cutting. It helps cut down on the fraying.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,662  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,663  
Got my new Titan splitter yesterday. IMG_2005.JPGIMG_2006.JPGIMG_2007.JPG
All I had to do was put the proper ends on the hoses and it was ready to go.
Bucked up some wood tough oak to test it.IMG_2010.JPG
It works great and will be very versatile.
IMG_2012.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,664  
Here is a video of the grapple which includes that log in the photo, sorry about the confusion. i was just trying to show off my photography skills :)

CFP Cotech - YouTube
Very interesting. Sawyer Rob has been pitching the advantages of a fork grapple for some time. Sure makes for less equipment.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,665  
Very interesting. Sawyer Rob has been pitching the advantages of a fork grapple for some time. Sure makes for less equipment.
That is cool. I could see a SCUT version in my future Whether I buy or DIY. Add on to my fork set up would be sweet rather than investing in a a grapple.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,666  
My cable is 8mm, seems so if I get a cable cutter big enough for 3/8 that would do it, anyone use one of these types of wire rope cutters>>> Heavy Duty Wire Rope Cutter 24" New in box SFD 7616531465 | eBay I like to have a good way to cut cable down in the woods, usually when I break my cable I have about 6' of fryed cable to try to whin back up so I can get the sliders back on, got to be carefull when looking at these cutters cause some are only made for alluminum and copper not steel wire rope.
A Google search didn't turn anything up on what I thought was a well known technique for cutting cable. The butt of the chisel must rest on something solid of course.

cut cable.png

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,667  
That's a good video on the forks/grapple combo. I can see how useful the grapple addition is. Not for me though. You need a steadier hand than I have trying to grapple with forks. They are so long you just touch the curl/dump control and I am either down in the dirt or way to high with the tips which most of the time you can't see because they are buried in the brush. The other thing I have a problem with is logs. You have to roll them off. You can't place them. Rolling off is great for feeding a mill but it is tough loading a truck or trailer because it is better to place them carefully when loading when building a load.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,668  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,669  
That's a good video on the forks/grapple combo. I can see how useful the grapple addition is. Not for me though. You need a steadier hand than I have trying to grapple with forks. They are so long you just touch the curl/dump control and I am either down in the dirt or way to high with the tips which most of the time you can't see because they are buried in the brush.
Once you get use to them, you can "feel" exactly what they are doing, you don't need to see what they are doing under the brush. Because they are long, they want to glide on top of the ground, unless you point the tips in the dirt

The other thing I have a problem with is logs. You have to roll them off. You can't place them. Rolling off is great for feeding a mill but it is tough loading a truck or trailer because it is better to place them carefully when loading when building a load.
gg
Not true at all...

I pick up logs for many reasons,

standard.jpg

and set them exactly where I want them, no rolling at all,

standard.jpg

Even on a truck, trailer or loaded wagon,

standard.jpg

I can even pick logs out of a pile to sort them, and the long forks have the added advantage of moving unwanted logs in the pile out of the way... You can pull one log back with the grapple and hold it back while you keep sorting with the rest of the forks that are sticking out.

There are just so many more uses that they WILL do, that a dedicated grapple won't do...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,670  
That's a good video on the forks/grapple combo. I can see how useful the grapple addition is. Not for me though. You need a steadier hand than I have trying to grapple with forks. They are so long you just touch the curl/dump control and I am either down in the dirt or way to high with the tips which most of the time you can't see because they are buried in the brush. The other thing I have a problem with is logs. You have to roll them off. You can't place them. Rolling off is great for feeding a mill but it is tough loading a truck or trailer because it is better to place them carefully when loading when building a load.

gg

I think the whole point of the grapple finger on forks is so that you can grip stuff, like logs, and it won't roll off the forks uncontrolled.

As for the touchyness of the loader controls, maybe you could benefit from some restrictors in the lines to slow down the speed of the cylinders, to make your machine not so sensitive to joystick movement.

I know my machine has some very touchy hydraulics, and I can fling things like landscape timbers 8' out from the machine with the forks if I'm not careful.