Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,701  
Cleaned up a bunch of dead elm that I was starting to get tired o looking at this morning
20180331_105159.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,703  
This is a firewood chunker...

The farm co-op had one of these... my grandmother used the wood side of her stove most of the year and everything was "Chunked"

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,704  
And you climbed one to take the picture?

I'm in MI too, and I guess it's snowing. On Vaca in Kentucky...

Look closely at the ground coming into the loader valve area of the tractor. Took the picture from a tree stand right above a busy deer run :)
Not sure where the rain / snow line is but heard there could be 5" up your way so KY sounds like a good choice. Rain & high wind advisory here now (100 miles south of 55).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,706  
No shortage of retired around the farm when I was a kid that would go in and scavenge the forests for branches after trees came out... some actually paid a nominal amount to the landowner which only covered branches or small windfall.

One guy had a VW Bug with a trailer... he would load it with a massive amount of branches when the forest was no muddy... when it rained he had a large carport with a jig to cut the branches to length.

Put 20 or 30 branches on the jib and then slice through in 14" slots.... jig was 8' or so... when done... with a couple of cuts he had hundreds of branches cut to length...

He used an electric chain saw under the carport and a bow saw and giant loppers in the woods.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,707  
Look closely at the ground coming into the loader valve area of the tractor. Took the picture from a tree stand right above a busy deer run :)
Not sure where the rain / snow line is but heard there could be 5" up your way so KY sounds like a good choice. Rain & high wind advisory here now (100 miles south of 55).
66 and sunny. Diggin it and don't wanna go home tomorrow.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,708  
Made one test run today, I went from 75' of old cable to 133' of new cable, did seem like I lost a little pulling power on the winch, dont know if it's because I might of got my greasy fingers on the spool pressure plate or because there's more cable on the spool, have to make a few more test trips.
IMG-0372.JPG IMG-0373.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,709  
I'm still welding there, 31 years and counting, I can assure anyone there are some great welders at BIW, second to none especially the tig pipe welders, I tried that and didn't pass the die test so I stayed in the machine welding of bars and shell plates. Some of these guys I work with weld .045 solid wire vertical up and it comes out like perfectly stacked dimes and lot of it, every day, all day long, me I go to Dual Shield flux core for up welding. Every inch of weld is spatter free and a lot of welding is done with mirrors<<<that will separate the men from boys really quick.

I retired on May 27th 2016.

I did my share of mirror welding there that is for sure. That does separate men from the boys, and I did my share when I worked on 5 skids, but when they ended that, and I moved to the aluminum shop and PVLS, there was very little mirror welding just because the nature of what it was.

I am like you, I prefer flux-core on the vertical up welding, but PVLS meant Pulse Welding only. I am not saying it was better or worse, it just was not allowed by Navy rules (as you know I am sure). I also spray-arced though, sometimes on PVLS stuff when it was not critical and allowed, which few welders do there. My best day ever was (5) rolls of wire in a single day on a 155 pass PVLS fillet weld! That was pretty good, but I don't blame you for not wanting to Tig weld. I knew a lot of old welders that could Tig Weld if they wished, but chose not too.

The poor reputation of BIW welders though does not come about because of quality, but because of work ethic. They used to tell me I was the "reason they did not get overtime", and I told them, "they were the reason we did not get ships." Few employers will hire BIW workers...not because they are not skilled, but just because they are not hard workers. Not every worker of course, but the few ruin it for the rest.

I am sure we know A LOT of the same people though, especially when it comes to Welder Leadmen and such.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #5,710  
Broken Track - What is PVLS?