Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,361  
You are welcome. I keep zooming in on your pictures to see how you built it.
(y)I'll try to get some better pics during this weekends tug-o-war against that oak top, I'm predicting a win...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,362  
(y)I'll try to get some better pics during this weekends tug-o-war against that oak top, I'm predicting a win...
If it's like this, just hook it to your tractor and yank it out. That winch is getting in your way:)

Attachments

• P1013435.jpg
    P1013435.jpg
    14.6 MB · Views: 113
  • P1013439.jpg
    P1013439.jpg
    14.3 MB · Views: 117
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,363  
Dont think I'd want double line pulling on back of my yuppy tractor, my single line pull will already break things, trying to avoid that.

I think I rather have gg self release snatch block, then I wouldn't have to reposition tractor between a narrow obstacle course risking life limb and a tractor step......
So you think you have a yuppie tractor? I guess you could move up to a small farm tractor, lots of good ones around for reasonable money, and they are a MUCH tougher tractor.

I anchored my winch over a bank one time, double lined it and pulled a heavy loaded truck out of a wet spot that was sitting on the frame, it had been sitting there quite a while and was REALLY stuck!

That was a VERY hard pull, I wasn't sure double lining it was gonna get it, but it FINALLY did overcome the suction of the mud and come out.

That really doesn't put much pull on the tractor though... Generally, you can winch more than you can pull with the tractor and winching is a lot easier on the tractor.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,364  
If it's like this, just hook it to your tractor and yank it out. That winch is getting in your way:)
Did the front end stay on the ground and what happen to the but cut? Bet it went hard around that tree on the right.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,365  
Did the front end stay on the ground and what happen to the but cut? Bet it went hard around that tree on the right.
Here's the butt and yes everything else remained copesthetic . That branch snapped at the tree obstruction but stayed attached. I like to cut some more ornary stick outs about half way through. They snap going through the woods but I don't have to go back and get them as their fibers hold them to the tree.

When I was logging, we didn't even bother with the canopies such as this. This one for instance would have stayed in the forest until the crew we hired went in to clean the slash.
At least my boss cared enough about the land not to leave it a mess. His clients appreciated this because many outfits didn't do this and just left a mess in the woods.

If he saw this stem he would have turned in his grave. He liked bringing these straight ones to the mill where they made oak pallets

Attachments

• P1013430.jpg
    P1013430.jpg
    14.3 MB · Views: 112
  • P1013437.jpg
    P1013437.jpg
    14.7 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,366  
Here's the butt and yes everything else remained copesthetic . That branch snapped at the tree obstruction but stayed attached. I like to cut some more ornary stick outs about half way through. They snap going through the woods but I don't have to go back and get them as their fibers hold them to the tree.

When I was logging, we didn't even bother with the canopies such as this. This one for instance would have stayed in the forest until the crew we hired went in to clean the slash.
At least my boss cared enough about the land not to leave it a mess. His clients appreciated this because many outfits didn't do this and just left a mess in the woods.

If he saw this stem he would have turned in his grave. He liked bringing these straight ones to the mill where they made oak pallets
Is that a word spelt wrong or you make it up?

Used the ole cut limb halfway trick, works good on fresh cut wood but on dry-ish wood for me sometimes work and other times gets left halfway between here and there which most times ends up staying here or there.

When I was logging 40 years ago the tops went in the chipper, logs went to mill. I seen other loggers up here do as you describe and when they did that near me they let me have the tops for firewood, oak tops make great firewood.

I see you dont baby your tractor either, quite a good pull. Would something like this work betterah>>>

Sure this is good firewood but gee I coulda used it to make my bridge last summer.....

fL9ealzh.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,369  
I've got a question. How do you turn the New notifications when the is new posts cent to you're E-mail?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #17,370  
I've got a question. How do you turn the New notifications when the is new posts cent to you're E-mail?
If I understand what you are asking, click your user name in upper right, then click settings in the drop down window.