Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,761  
Not really. With 200 acres, living where trees grow like weeds and trees grow big, it does not take more than a couple of trees to make enough for our winters.
At best . . .

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,763  
Right. I think I have burned about 5 cord so far this winter. About half of the 1 tree it came from.
You have to remember they don’t see the kind of volume out of the timber even east of the Cascades like we do on the wet side.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,765  
What we call mature forest, you call "Christmas Trees."
Nah, Christmas trees are field grown and an off site species. Height is what I’m honestly thinking of most of the stuff I thin is about the same weight as well as diameters is the east coast mature forests. Take our hardwoods out here they’re taller and larger diameter in about 45 to 50 years you can have a mature Red Alder out of a root rot patch with a life span of around 80 maybe 90 they can put some height on with a nasty sweep.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,766  
Can someone tell me how to safely take this tree down?
I think trying to use my FEL to move it, either from the top(ish) or bottom, would end badly for me or the tractor, or both.
Can't pull the base away from a distance because there is not enough room (house).
Can't just cut as it stands as far as I know because it could end up anywhere.
I don't really want to take down the stand it is leaning into (piece by piece).
It's broken at the base as far as I can tell.
I'm no expert, or even much of an amateur really.
It's about 8 to 10 inches diameter
1646782909382.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,767  
^^^^^

The problem I see isn't the tree you are concerned with. First you need to notice and deal with that dead maple just to the right of it.

There is a reason why those are called "Widowmakers".

If you aren't comfortable doing it you should call a fully insured professional. The price might seem high at first, but it's always cheaper than a funeral.

Edit; I wouldn't even consider hooking onto it with your tractor, unless you will be at least as far away as the tree is tall. (One reason that I like my winch.)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,768  
Hauling cut pieces to the splitter on a very hot summer day.View attachment 360410
Man I wish I had a grapple. I have forks but it doesn't really cut it with bush. I have to pile my brush is tight piles in order for me to pick it up.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,769  
Man I wish I had a grapple. I have forks but it doesn't really cut it with bush. I have to pile my brush is tight piles in order for me to pick it up.
One TBN member touts the value of grapple thumbs on his forks. I don't know if that would work for you or not.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,770  
If you think it will slide out of tree's it's wedged in, then at your house you might have a good anchor point (like another tree of good size) that a directional pulley could be attached to.

Then you should be able to pull in another direction.

I don't know if you were considering using cable or rope, but if it were me I'd be using 1/2" static rescue rope, a 4" diameter (minimum) pulley rated for the rope, and connection hardware that's also rated for the rope (all with a safety factor figured in).

I have these items available for me to use, others might have 5/16" or 3/8" cable.

KC