Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,781  
I was curious how you were doing with your mill... Now I know the answer is "not at all"!
I am taking the rest of the week off, and hope to at least start assembling it. 👍

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,782  
As I said before; that isn't the one which you need to worry about. It's hung in the other trees pretty good, and since it's a poplar will shed it's limbs then slowly deteriorate. The maple looks rotten and has been dead for a while, based on the lack of small limbs and the mushrooms on what's left of the bark. It's also free standing, and can come down in any direction, probably in large chunks.
It will be taken down in due time. Part of clearing some of my property. If it falls now it's now going to hit anything. It's very much like the one I pulled down by hand. Pretty soft.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,783  
you can hook a long chain to the bottom of the tree to the tractor and slide the bottom out until the tree top falls out of the other tree and slips down it to the ground. If doing that you have to make sure the tree is not wedged in the dirt and the top starts toppling over. I had that happen to me but luckily never hit the tractor.

Other ways is with the power saw but it is to dangerous if you haven done it before. You cut 4 foots junks off the bottom until the bottom actually end up so close to the tree that it is hung in. When cutting these 4 foot chunks of the bottom of the tree you have to cut the underside of the truck or the saw will jam. The tree trunk will fall towards the tree it is hung on as you cut off the 4 foot chunks. Here is the catch.... With the butt end close to the tree that it is hung up in the tree will be leaning towards you and the top will topple back towards you. You have to be ready. I did it many times but it is a dangerous thing to be doing and not recommended unless you have lots of experience doing this sort of thing.
Not enough room to move it once hooked. Part of the problem.

When I built the place I used various methods to take down hung-up trees and sectioning was one of them.
Back when I did this I was daring and much faster. I am neither now.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,784  
Do pre-cut as high as you can. Take into consideration how healthy that wood actually is. If it's already rotten - cut less than half. If it's nice and "green" you can go till 2/3.
Put the cable around tree where that cut is.
Pull gently, to break the cut. In pic it seams that you can pull it sideways, that remaining tree will not allow the fallen one kill you
Tree should not flip over but stay like it is, and already 1.5 m shorter and 100 kg lighter
Repeat, till you can handle it

1646782909382.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,785  
Trying out the new ms462. There is a lot of oak wilt going through the area now. Quite a few are 180yrs old. Interesting when counting the rings, the first 100yrs the things were only 4" dia or so, then take off to 30".
That's a lot of rings to count.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,787  
Interesting read over the last half dozen pages or so, I dont get notifications anymore for some reason and kind of forgot about this place although I dont know how. Loaderman 22 shot me an email and reminded me, thanks LM.
I do not envy the way some of you do things, just too much work for me, dont get me wrong you guys do a great job winching stuff out of the woods and all but I have no winch or the desire to get one, age is limiting me there some.
When I go to get saw logs off my property (it was planted many years ago) I take them from the perimeter of a clear-cut I had done when I bought this place. I drop them (loblolly pine AKA SYP) into the field , debranch them, buck them into the lengths I want, use my grapple to load the logs onto my 20 foot flatbed nd the haul it up front to my little mill. This way I dont drag them and get them dirty and it works for me.
Hardwoods are a different story... dont have a whole lot of them here. I get the occasional blow down but that is rare. So if I go into the woods for a hardwood I normally buck them up into firewood lengths throw them in the loader and haul them out to my splitter. Yes its the slow way of doing things but I'm long since retired and have the time, besides I like the work. And I normally burn less than 2 cords a year.
Sorry bout the long post, I got a little carried away.. I now return you to your regular programming... :)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,788  
Loaderman... you have 5 ATV's?? holy camoly you should give one to me!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,789  
Nah, Christmas trees are field grown and an off site species. Height is what I’m honestly thinking of most of the stuff I thin is about the same weight as well as diameters is the east coast mature forests. Take our hardwoods out here they’re taller and larger diameter in about 45 to 50 years you can have a mature Red Alder out of a root rot patch with a life span of around 80 maybe 90 they can put some height on with a nasty sweep.
I have what they call a tree farm here, they are field grown and most likely were at one point an off site species, Loblolly pine, but at 80 ish feet tall are not christmas trees! :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,790  
1. They are radial tires; they pretty much always look a bit low.

2. They both look low, when there's a half core of oak on the forks. lol

SR
What pressure do you run in them?