Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,801  
I just do not like the way the tires are squished down, I used to run mine like that but no more.
Well, are you running radial ag tires on your tractor? yes-no-maybe?

If so, good luck with getting them to not look squished down, with a half cord of oak on the front, plus what about when you take the load off, do you then jump off and let some air out? lol

Mine are fine, they've been run this way for many years...

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,802  
Well, are you running radial ag tires on your tractor? yes-no-maybe?

If so, good luck with getting them to not look squished down, with a half cord of oak on the front, plus what about when you take the load off, do you then jump off and let some air out? lol

Mine are fine, they've been run this way for many years...

SR
Mine were run that way for many years also till the side walls gave out. It was explained to me running them "squishy" put too much stress on the sidewalls hence their early exit probably. But you run them how you like.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,803  
That's one reason that I prefer cutting in winter... although it didn't happen this year. Also, about 1/6th of my property is best accessed across a wet area which I can freeze down in winter, about 500 feet to the road; otherwise it's about 1/2 mile (.8 Kilometers) out around and back again.

Wood also doesn't spoil in winter. I'm just a weekend warrior, and working more than 6 hours/day leads to stupid moves. The last time, I rolled a log onto my Husky 545, destroying it. It takes me 3-4 weekends to put up an 8 cord load of wood, in summer that leads to drying, checking, and general degradation of the logs.
Weekend warrior :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: never heard such expression (y)
I am the same 😁 Living in city and for weekend go to fight with my jungles.

In addition: wood which has been cut in winter is dry. At spring they take a lot of juices inside. OK, it doesnt apply no so much evergreen species like pine; spruce, but birch, maple are soaking wet already in March.

And once birds are back for nesting, I don't do anything which could disturb them. Only emergencies, other than that - wait till birds migrate to someplace warmer and restart the fight.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,804  
Thank you for this comment, Helo. Gives me some bit of hope. Of course, if 2 million Unkrainians have fled, that still leaves 40 million of them at home under duress. The madness has to end ASAP.

To not derail this thread, I am excited to get back to some firewood production with spring's arrival. Unlike the diehards in here, I am a fair weather firewood producer. Not interested in frozen fingers, shoveling snow to clear my log piles, or dealing with logs frozen into the ground.

So I got all 6 of my blades sharpened up. Finally realized that I need to take the rakers down a bit also, they were just as tall as my teeth.

m9SI17u.jpg

And I finally broke down and bought an affordable peavey (timberjack). Hope this thing holds up ok. Anyone like to use these things? I figure I will remove the leg after I clear my current log piles down to the ground, and just use it for rolling logs after that.

LW4xpYn.jpg
What are you using to file the rakers? That is the one sharpening job I hate.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,805  
What are you using to file the rakers? That is the one sharpening job I hate.
I'm not deezler but I just use a small flat file. After every couple sharpenings I give the rakers a couple (yes two) strokes with it, takes less than a minute per chain. I do not use one of those little gages as to me they seem a waste of time. I can tell by the bite of the chain if I took enough or too much off and 2 strokes is about perfect.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,806  
Not enough room to move it once hooked. Part of the problem.

When I built the place I used various methods to take down hung-up trees and sectioning was one of them.
Back when I did this I was daring and much faster. I am neither now.
If you can use the pre-cut piece hinge method as Helogabals suggested, you can pull from the side if you have a strong anchor point. You don't need to pull straight back towards the felling tree. The hope would be that the top of the tree falls between the grove of trees before it becomes vertical, so by only cutting part of the way through, you give yourself a hinge to kick the tree outward so its moving towards horizontal not vertical. I guess you could alternate hinge cuts, so the tree goes back & forth as it lowers like an accordion. Then you wouldn't run out of real estate. Sometimes you just need to get the top low enough to clear the tops of the others.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,807  
Loaderman... you have 5 ATV's?? holy camoly you should give one to me!
One for firewood / plowing / utility etc
One for the Misses to help out, only 2wd but good tires so she helps move a small trailer full of split logs & kindling etc.
One just for fun, a lot faster, more agile, 4wd but no hitch
One for the daughter, a little Honda 70 so she can zip around the yard.
And one for when she gets a little older, it was a project to get it all back together, but too big for her now. she'll grow into it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,808  
I have one like this, it works fine, but I feel the top hook has a bit too much play in the hinge, & it could be a tad sharper, each can be remedied, just haven't yet. I'm still on my original handle. I was also gifted a smaller one of similar design, but painted red with a integrated steel handle, its a little less bulky so I tend to use that more.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,809  
Mine were run that way for many years also till the side walls gave out. It was explained to me running them "squishy" put too much stress on the sidewalls hence their early exit probably. But you run them how you like.
It does happen DEPENDING on what brand/style of tires you have or had, you still haven't told us what they were.

It's not going to happen to the brand/style of tires I have on my loader tractor, so it's a non-issue in my case.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,810  
One for firewood / plowing / utility etc
One for the Misses to help out, only 2wd but good tires so she helps move a small trailer full of split logs & kindling etc.
One just for fun, a lot faster, more agile, 4wd but no hitch
One for the daughter, a little Honda 70 so she can zip around the yard.
And one for when she gets a little older, it was a project to get it all back together, but too big for her now. she'll grow into it.
My only ATV is my tractor!