Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,651  
Speaking of bad saws... How's that new echo treating you? :LOL:
The echo is working great, but like that Stihl, it doesn't get a whole lot of use. But the weight difference makes it easier for me to use. How is that Stihl working out for you.. great I hope..

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,653  
Elm has to be my LEAST favorite firewood. Not all that great on the BTU content, and a real pain in the butt to split - even with a hydraulic splitter.
Yep, elm is a pain to split. I'll keep the big ones, but a whole bunch (of ones I would have normally kept) went to the burn pile. I'll usually burn most anything (since I'm not buying it), except pines.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,654  
The echo is working great, but like that Stihl, it doesn't get a whole lot of use. But the weight difference makes it easier for me to use. How is that Stihl working out for you.. great I hope..
Aside from the spark plug quitting on me, absolutely fantastic. My neighbor has a big Husky, if I remember right its around a mid 500 series xp with a 24" bar, and it cuts very nice also. I've been very happy with the Stihl, no complaints.

When, well I should say, "if" my ms029/290 ever dies I will replace it with the ms261.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,655  
Speaking of Oldpath, is he no longer around? I could not find him in the member directory, nor could I find old posts by searching for that member name.
It turns out that we were searching for the wrong name... his moniker was OldPath05. Still, I doubt that he will be back.
While OldPath and his son seem to saw on a part time basis, his nephew Maine Cedar Sawmill - Dewey's Lumber and Cedar Mill | Liberty, Maine just made a big expansion to his sawmill. I probably find that more interesting than most, as we sometimes sell wood to them. Decent cedar is getting harder and harder to find, and after the drought conditions of 2 years ago I notice a lot of trees have died.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,657  
It turns out that we were searching for the wrong name... his moniker was OldPath05. Still, I doubt that he will be back.
While OldPath and his son seem to saw on a part time basis, his nephew Maine Cedar Sawmill - Dewey's Lumber and Cedar Mill | Liberty, Maine just made a big expansion to his sawmill. I probably find that more interesting than most, as we sometimes sell wood to them. Decent cedar is getting harder and harder to find, and after the drought conditions of 2 years ago I notice a lot of trees have died.
He goes by "Job38four" on you tube if you want to find him

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,659  
I sliced one of my chaps open a few months back when one of my saws did not fully idle down. I had the saw in my left hand and was moving a limb with my right hand (I did not take any steps) and I noticed the saw brushed my leg as I moved the limb. It did not dig into the fill so I still use the chaps. Adjusted the carb after that.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #20,660  
My rule of thumb is, more than 3 steps, chain brake goes on...
Better yet just shut it off, never trust a chain brake it’s a last resort measure for kick backs.