Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,161  
We are a timber oriented state, and there are yards where I can haul just one or a few logs in. Hence it always makes me a bit sick when I see a nice sawlog go into the firewood pile.
As my old mentor use to say it’s just a hardwood just chair it up anyways.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,162  
Today was another sunny 70's day, and I decided to run the BSM. Remember this "big ugly" cherry? (the very top log)

Resized-20220708-141615-S.jpg

I milled it today, once I got the slabs off it, I made several cuts at 5/4,

Resized-20221103-132804-S.jpg

and this is what the average board inside looked like,

Resized-20221103-134524-S.jpg

It's better than I thought they would look! lol

Anyway, went out to one of my food plots, and this wasn't there yesterday!

Resized-20221103-154737-S.jpg

It's only about 50 yards from my deer blind.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,163  
If I sawed logs into cabinet grade planks, I would need to find an additional market for it. I wouldn't want more wood in my house, and relatives only need heirloom quality - it ends up less is more. Average here would be $100 maybe $200/year for purchased quality hardwood. Where is your market for sawn logs. It is tempting to start bandsawing, but, I have pallets of hickory planks in the shed that never have found a home. 45yrs, still there.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,164  
If I sawed logs into cabinet grade planks, I would need to find an additional market for it. I wouldn't want more wood in my house, and relatives only need heirloom quality - it ends up less is more. Average here would be $100 maybe $200/year for purchased quality hardwood. Where is your market for sawn logs. It is tempting to start bandsawing, but, I have pallets of hickory planks in the shed that never have found a home. 45yrs, still there.
I'm not sawing them, just selling the logs. There are several yards around which buy many products, then resell them when they get a load. As I said, we are timber oriented and right now the mills are hungry for just about anything.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,165  
I'm not sawing them, just selling the logs. There are several yards around which buy many products, then resell them when they get a load. As I said, we are timber oriented and right now the mills are hungry for just about anything.
But sawer Rob has a bundle ready to go. But where too?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,167  
But sawer Rob has a bundle ready to go. But where too?
I believe that Sawyer Rob has spent a LOT of time building up his clientelle.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,168  
A wind storm we had a while back uprooted three white pine. Yesterday afternoon I started to salvage what I could from them. The easy one first. The smallest too, and the root ball right next a tractor trail.

22_11_3-1).JPG

I cleaned out a spot to work in and assess what to do.

22_11_3-2.JPG

The top was laying pretty much flat on the ground and looked stable with no forces on it from big branches under it or sticking out that might make it want to roll. And it was not pushing against other trees causing a bind. So I decided to cut the butt first and not have to deal with a heavy log falling at my feet if I cut the top first. It looked like the root ball wanted to lay back down where it came from.

I started with a cut straight down around 1/2 the diameter deep. At the bottom I started a short up cut the full diameter. I drove home 2 wedges on this side.

22_11_3-3.JPG

I added another wedge in the bottom cut I made on the other side.

22_11_3-4.JPG

I started the final cut from the top down trying to sense any movement. I started to feel slight pressure on the bar so drove in another wedge.

22_11_3-5.JPG

Then finished the cut. To my surprise the root ball stayed put. That's the thing - you never know what will happen. The butt moved towards me a little and down but stayed up off the ground. You can see the two cuts.

22_11_3-6.JPG

I cut the top just below a weevil bend and fork. 20" at that cut.

22_11_3-7.JPG

Set up a snatch block to get it across the trail.

22_11_3-8.jpg

Pulled it out and then to the tractor straightened out in the trail.

22_11_3-9.JPG

22_11_3-10.JPG

Just under 16' so it will make a nice 14'er. The rest of the tree is pallet wood and pulp which no body local to me wants. That's why I don't cut pine on my lot - it seems so wasteful.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,169  
A wind storm we had a while back uprooted three white pine. Yesterday afternoon I started to salvage what I could from them. The easy one first. The smallest too, and the root ball right next a tractor trail.

View attachment 769078

I cleaned out a spot to work in and assess what to do.

View attachment 769080

The top was laying pretty much flat on the ground and looked stable with no forces on it from big branches under it or sticking out that might make it want to roll. And it was not pushing against other trees causing a bind. So I decided to cut the butt first and not have to deal with a heavy log falling at my feet if I cut the top first. It looked like the root ball wanted to lay back down where it came from.

I started with a cut straight down around 1/3 the diameter deep. At the bottom I started an up cut the full diameter. I drove home 2 wedges on this side.

View attachment 769082

I added another wedge in the bottom cut I made on the other side.

View attachment 769083

I started the final cut from the top down trying to sense any movement. I started to feel slight pressure on the bar so drove in another wedge.

View attachment 769084

Then finished the cut. To my surprise the root ball stayed put. That's the thing - you never know what will happen. The butt moved towards me a little and down but stayed up off the ground.

View attachment 769085

I cut the top just below a weevil bend and fork. 20" at that cut.

View attachment 769087

Set up a snatch block to get it across the trail.

View attachment 769088

Pulled it out and then to the tractor straightened out in the trail.

View attachment 769089

View attachment 769090

Just under 16' so it will make a nice 14'er. The rest of the tree is pallet wood and pulp which no body local to me wants. That's why I don't cut pine on my lot - it seems so wasteful.

gg
Only suggestion I would make is put a small face into something like that to allow the kerf to stay open easier.