Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,092  
Interesting article ning, thanks for posting it - Seems aesthetics is a main factor with some subtle physical benefits. I've been whacking stuff with a weighted stick my whole life and the only thing I ever noticed was some tools are better balanced or just feel better. To me my axe feels and swings fine in either direction.

gg
When having to really beat on something the curved handle you loose some power vs a straight handle since you’re part way through your swing already.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,093  
Every time I run this saw, I feel justified in spending way too much for it...(Although having a friend with a backhoe and thumb certainly sped things up) After 20 minutes of cutting the saw "woke up" and really got down to business. Haven't ran anything else that even compares.
Just have to watch a few things with them but they run really good with a long bar and lots of aggressive cutters.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,094  
I'm not sure, but in my experience, curved handles were easier to hold onto when swinging. A little more ergonomic for your hands. Also as Gordon found out, I can't remember seeing a straight replacement handle anywhere, so they seem to be more readily available. I never felt like I could get used to swinging the curved handles as well as the regular ones.
I’ll be dead honest we don’t see curved handles hardly at all out here when we do it’s normally at a hardware store or something. A good fallers axe is straight and allows the most power to be transferred. If you look at page 5 that’s pretty standard out here a few of us have tried Fiskars with no success and different composite handles but always come back to the straight wood handles.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,095  
I have two quite big white oaks that are dieing/dead and I want to cut them down and firewood them, there's going to be several cords of wood in them. Anyway, there were trees growing into the limbs of the oaks that would get all busted up when the oaks go down, so I decided to just take them out first to get them out of the way,

Resized-20230617-110139-S.jpg

SO, my buddy and me, cut/skidded them out with my skidding winch, and cut them to length, in my wagon,

Resized-20230617-124828-S.jpg

I even pulled one of the limbs down/out of one of the oaks, and cut that into the wagon too,

Resized-20230617-135913-S.jpg

and we kept at it until we had a decent load,

Resized-20230617-152657-S.jpg

I even managed to get a decent saw log out of the deal,

Resized-20230617-152742-S.jpg

Nothing huge in this load, but it's still a nice load of firewood.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,097  
^^^
What species tree is the middle stem of the twitch in your top picture?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,100  
When I was using an axe you could shave with it. You can't even buy the German steel that I was using back then... and my last one disappeared out of the back of my truck along with my other good axe.

I lost a wood splitter like that. At least I could replace a wood splitter.