Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,171  
Did the tires shape the trailer, or did the trailer groove the tires? 🤣

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,173  
After all that July rain some of the higher places are dry enough to work in. This weekend I started a new stud wood pile.

23_8_5-6.JPG

I set my camera out while I worked on this up-rooted blow down lying across a tractor road. It is not a big tree by any means but it is big enough to make three stud wood saw logs. Took these photos off the video.

23_8_5-1.jpg

I wish I had thought to put a chunk of wood under the butt to keep it up off the ground before I cut it off of the up-rooted stump. Usually a good idea. I had to make a couple more cuts to remove the butt rot with the tree on the ground. Can be hard on the chain. It's been so long since I ran the saw it seemed a little out of tune.

23_8_5-2.jpg

Winched in the two bottom logs like this.

23_8_5-3.jpg

The top log I winched in small end first using the first two logs as an anchor and their sliders as a snatch block. If your not careful this is a good way to put a curlicue kink in your cable. It happens if there is a lot of tension in the cable going around the sharp bend. Just like when a Christmas ribbon is drawn over a scissors blade under your thumb to make a fancy curlicue bow. But with a light log and a movable anchor that will not happen.

23_8_5-4.jpg

My camera timed out (memory full) just as I started to winch in. But the log came in as planned and completed the three log hitch.

Here's the 15 minute video

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,174  
^^^
Studwood is about the only thing around here which the mills really want right now.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,176  
After all that July rain some of the higher places are dry enough to work in. This weekend I started a new stud wood pile.

View attachment 814858

I set my camera out while I worked on this up-rooted blow down lying across a tractor road. It is not a big tree by any means but it is big enough to make three stud wood saw logs. Took these photos off the video.

View attachment 814861

I wish I had thought to put a chunk of wood under the butt to keep it up off the ground before I cut it off of the up-rooted stump. Usually a good idea. I had to make a couple more cuts to remove the butt rot with the tree on the ground. Can be hard on the chain. It's been so long since I ran the saw it seemed a little out of tune.

View attachment 814863

View attachment 814864

The top log I winched in small end first using the first two logs as an anchor and their sliders as a snatch block. If your not careful this is a good way to put a curlicue kink in your cable. It happens if there is a lot of tension in the cable going around the sharp bend. Just like when a Christmas ribbon is drawn over a scissors blade under your thumb to make a fancy curlicue bow. But with a light log and a movable anchor that will not happen.

View attachment 814865

My camera timed out (memory full) just as I started to winch in. But the log came in as planned and completed the three log hitch.

gg
I haven’t been on much. Is that a new tractor?

Had to run j5 in road 15 km at trail head into backcountry. Then I walked back out. Didn’t get home until 5 am

Attachments

• IMG_6609.jpeg
    IMG_6609.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,177  
I haven’t been on much. Is that a new tractor?

Had to run j5 in road 15 km at trail head into backcountry. Then I walked back out. Didn’t get home until 5 am

It's a 2012 M5640 gear drive utility tractor I bought in March of 2017 with 700 hrs on it. Have set it up for the woods.

Why are you leaving the J5 out in the boonies or did you break down??

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,178  

View attachment 814858

View attachment 814861

View attachment 814863

View attachment 814864

View attachment 814865

gg
Yes that technique can cause the curlicues you mention if not careful as I once found out. I had to cut off 15 feet of my cable learning that lesson some years back. It would tangle inside the winch and cause damage. I use the sliders occasionally instead of the snatch block but only for very slight angles and light loads. Like moving the butt of a log a foot or so from behind the stump so I can winch it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,179  
It's a 2012 M5640 gear drive utility tractor I bought in March of 2017 with 700 hrs on it. Have set it up for the woods.

Why are you leaving the J5 out in the boonies or did you break down??

gg
No. I have to leave for work three weeks on an oil rig. But a guide of mine may need it to run back in the country to the cabin.
I am an hour and half from him so I brought it in for him before I leave tomorrow

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,180  
Drive it ten miles in and walked ten miles back out. But I didn’t get back until 5 am. Sleep in yard so didn’t wake the misses. I don’t move without the dog so he’s quite attached. I a guess I fell asleep in the truck and she let him out to pee this morning. She said he barked non stop looking at the truck. He knows the truck well. I have a sheet of aspenite in the front for him on the seat making it more of a floor. He was a little beside himself he couldn’t wake me up.

Attachments

• 71318027584__BC4864D0-8809-44F3-B7B6-E951C57389D1.jpeg
    71318027584__BC4864D0-8809-44F3-B7B6-E951C57389D1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6628.jpeg
    IMG_6628.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72