Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,741  
You have Autumn Olive in Maine where you are ?? I've not seen it around here - thank goodness. We have enough other stuff already. For some reason I thought that was a more southern plant/tree.

gg

I see you do have it. I looked up the range map and was surprised to see how wide spread it is. All over VT too - except our little NE corner of the state. My big problem here is Glossy Buckthorn. Have honey suckle too but it is never very vigorous in our poor soil and is easy to control.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,742  
I think with that little saw the 3" thorns on Autumn Olive will eat you alive, let alone with Multiflora and others mixed in. Bad enough to stick a 20" bar through the mess to drop some branches to open a hole.
I use my 20v DeWalt pole saw to reach in to get brush like that.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,743  
Ugh.. I had a lady get upset because I was cutting down all the lovely grapevine along the trails.:rolleyes:
Wild grape has always had me going back and forth: good for the wildlife but will kill the host tree.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,744  
Wild grape has always had me going back and forth: good for the wildlife but will kill the host tree.
we also have Japanese Bittersweet that climbs up the tree and kills it. Ive noticed recently, our Sassafras trees are dying and Cherry and Cedar. Strange to see so many trees dying.:confused::confused:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,745  
I pick a few trees I'm willing to sacrifice and let the wild grape have those.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,746  
Man, autumn olive, sassafras, wild grape, Glossy Buckthorn.
All these trees we don't have here, and several I've never even heard of.
'course, I don't pretend to know much about trees to begin with.
The only tree I can identify is Dogwood. And only by it's bark !

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,747  
On my mother’s property there is autumn olive, Japanese Maple, Bittersweet, Barberry, black locust, Japanese knotweed and one more which I can’t think of right now. Plus Lupine, which is invasive but people like it so they usually get a pass. Out of them all, the only thing which was actually planted was the original maple… now long gone but the memory remains.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,748  
Add Water Hemlock, Sericea Lespedeza, Canada Thistle, Broom Sage and Bull thistle (really despise that not even the rabbits eat it) to my list of invasives. Also have to keep on top of Willow and River Birch so they don't take over.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,749  
Full cord of split wood here is going to average of $350. And while the sellers claim is seasoned, it aint. lol
Wow! I haven't bought a cord in years but I thought it was still around $200 down here in the Catskills. I buy log length by the truckload so it's cheaper. Cutting and splitting 7-8 cords of wood is an interesting pastime that takes forever at my age, lol. I have some doomed ash trees to cut and split over the winter to add to my stash.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,750  
On my mother’s property there is autumn olive, Japanese Maple, Bittersweet, Barberry, black locust, Japanese knotweed and one more which I can’t think of right now. Plus Lupine, which is invasive but people like it so they usually get a pass. Out of them all, the only thing which was actually planted was the original maple… now long gone but the memory remains.
OMG, I hate Japanese knotweed. You have to attack that stuff or it will destroy you. Had it in CT, and it was mixed in with other shrubs, so I could never get rid of it. I have always cursed it and I truly believe that a week after I'm dead, someone will come along and find that the stuff cures whatever killed me, lol. Here in the Catskills it has completely taken over the river banks, destroying much of the beautiful valley scenery we once had. It is really nasty stuff, and it grows lightning fast. There are people that actually rent out goat herds to eat the stuff. They love it. It's even said that the young shoots can be cooked and eaten like asparagus.