Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,831  
I put my firewood in my half cord firewood boxes and each time I get one filled, it goes to the end of the line.

row.jpg

When winter comes I move the oldest box of splits to the house and the splits get thrown down into the basement where my woodstove is.

I don't have to touch the wood too many times before it makes it to the stove.

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,833  
IMG_6719.jpeg
IMG_6717.jpeg

Cut and split a dead leaner today. This winter is my first year to use the forks and tote cages, working Pretty well so far. My best improvement to my process is the ”Log lifting tables” that I added last year. I lower the splitter and load them up with rounds then lift to a good working height. Sure beats lifting rounds from the ground.
Mike

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,834  
I cut the access opening in my crates a little lower. I cut 3 horizontal bands and leave 2 plus the very bottom. I find this helps get to the wood pieces in the bottom rear of the tote easier. It doesn't seem to have affected the strength, however I wouldn't think of stacking them. I also add the bladder lid and stuff more pieces up above the metal cage. I like the staging table Mike0000, I have an idea to add a table to mine, just have to get some tubing and find time to fire up the welder.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,835  
I leave the bottom plus one horizontal, and cut open all the way up but leave the top to hit my head on - figure the top ring is probably one of the more important parts of the cage. I just got 8 more totes (fellow delivered them to me, no bladders, for $300, which is amazing around here) and I'll be trying out stacking them once they're filled.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,836  
Be careful stacking. I found out that my L3600 Kubota can pick up a tote full, but if I'm not on perfectly flat ground I had better be beside a building that can stop a tipover. No harm, no foul, lesson learned. I'm in the mountains, even flat ground is not flat. And I have loaded tires and had something heavy on the rear.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,837  
Be careful stacking. I found out that my L3600 Kubota can pick up a tote full, but if I'm not on perfectly flat ground I had better be beside a building that can stop a tipover. No harm, no foul, lesson learned. I'm in the mountains, even flat ground is not flat. And I have loaded tires and had something heavy on the rear.
My wood totes area is very flat (till it drops off a short cliff). I'm definitely going to go really slow and see how it goes before committing to stacking them, but I hope I can because my flat wood area isn't very big and between the totes I've already got full there and my brush hog, tiller, pile of poles and other crap it's already impinging on my truck turnaround!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,838  
Your tractor weighs about 1000lbs more than mine, listed weight, so that should help. but I was surprised how heavy the tote full of stacked wood is. I can pick it up, but I can't curl back much at all. Two feet high, interesting on slopes, any higher it is how fast can I drop the forks-- or look-a new method to unload.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,839  
I use my small loader to move these totes and it will pick them up but it will also pick the rear wheels off the ground in a heartbeat, so sometimes its a full on "code brown" as she starts tipping forward. I also don't hinge the middle much as that throws off the center of gravity quickly, so I tend to make 10 point turns instead of a circle with a crate on the front.

One day I'll get my quick attach welded on the front of the loader which will save a bunch of weight as well as move the tote closer to the machine than it is now.