Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,881  
How are people measuring to cut fire wood to the correct length? Maybe a better question is how are you marking it? I’ll hold my chainsaw bar sideways and use that or just guess and I end up all over the place.
I use what's called "The perfect stick". I'll walk back and forth down my pile of logs doing a bunch at once. Then cut them up. Super easy. They are $25

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240124_170446_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240124_170446_Samsung Internet.jpg
    956.1 KB · Views: 64
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,883  
As SR said, if it isn't perfect my stove doesn't complain. I can get it pretty close to 16 inches by eye.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,884  
For me if it's over 16" it doesn't fit in the stove. I tried. I have an old broom handle I use to measure up quickly at the woodlot. and use the guess method with the chainsaw bar if bucking in the field. I also put a mark on the splitter at 16". When I split anything over 16 goes into the BBQ wood pile. The BBQ/outdoor brick oven doesn't care.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,885  
I'm all over the place with my (un)calibrated eyeball method. My neighbor has an old tape measure that broke so he saved the first 20-24" at the end and a piece of sidewalk chalk. I saw a guy on YouTube use a contraption called a "Mingo Marker" that puts a green dot every 16"...

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,886  
Our stove will take 20" wood but 18" (max 19") is optimal for loading. I eye a lot of the stuff we cut... but... not always perfect.. :rolleyes:

I have the Mingo Marker and it works well for long straight logs; I use it often after dropping a tree to mark it prior to it being cut into lengths & it heading to our bucking area. I like it but it is not perfect... but simple to use

I also have a Firewood ProSizer... full disclosure I didn't pay for it... a buddy of mine purchased it & didn't like it & gave it to me. Well.. he wasn't using it correctly. After 10 -15 mins of setup & learning curve it cuts perfectly at 18 - 19" every time very quickly & with no measuring. Works well.. would I pay for it... maybe. My buddy that gave it to me is now also a believer & uses it whenever we cut wood together... (on my saw)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,887  
I might have shown this before. I purchased this log marker. It didn't have the size I wanted so I made my own wheel and I added a long handle. It marks at about 21.5 inches. I have probably had it for at least 10 years. Before that it was like everybody else, to long and then to short.

Attachments

• 20240124_193845_resized_1.jpg
    20240124_193845_resized_1.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 62
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,889  
Here are a few pictures of my wood pile. It is basically all dead ash. Its been on the landing since last spring/summer. It was full of mud but it is starting to look fairly clean now. I will mark it and cut it in place. I left clearance between the logs when I skidded them up there. After that I hook up the splitter grapple and hay rack to my tractor and go at it.

O just a picture of the deer in the back yard. I didn't know I had a green thumb but the deer really like my yard/grass.

20240115_153631_resized_1 (1).jpg20240115_153650_resized_1.jpg20240115_153711_resized_1.jpg20240115_153727_resized_1.jpg20240115_153808_resized_1.jpg20240116_175911_resized_1.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #22,890  
On the log marker, my wife got it for me as a Christmas gift. I don't go to the wood pile without. I mark maybe 5 or 6 sticks, do the cutting, then take a break by marking some more. I use the orange florescent upside down paint. It lasts a long time but I still buy it by the case. My biggest problem is that my boots seem to always end up with a orange tint to them. Lol :unsure: 🤣