Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,021  
I go back and forth between I wish it would warm up, I’m burning so much wood and I wish it would cool off, I need to burn some wood. If it gets above 40 I don’t use the fireplace as it gets too hot in the house. It’s been a few weeks since we had a cooler day, I need to burn a little wood to make room for some of the split wood I have.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,022  
Wolc123, I like that lamp. A chair and a couple of magazines and you have a place to hang out.
I used it for the first time last night. It’s a real game changer. It’s so much nicer to turn off my pre tier-4 diesel tractor and not breath fumes or listen to the racket as I’m loading the bucket with wood at night.

IMG_4025.jpeg

It also puts the light right where I need it as I’m filling the bucket, which blocks out the tractor’s headlights. I should have moved a lamp out there earlier. I think I’m going to install a fixture in corner for an LED floodlight, pointed inside. I can’t put in an overhead fixture because I stack the wood all the way to the roof.

Unlike Dodge man, I don’t go back and forth and I just wish it would stay colder longer, because it so much fun and cheaper burning wood. My house also gets too hot to use the wood stove when it’s above 40 at night.

We’re into a long cold stretch again now up here on the Canadian border. I hope it keeps up for a couple more months so that I can make a little more room in my woodshed. There’s lots of downed timber in the woods and I can’t wait to get filling it.
IMG_4020.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,023  
We’re into a long cold stretch again now up here on the Canadian border. I hope it keeps up for a couple more months so that I can make a little more room in my woodshed. There’s lots of downed timber in the woods and I can’t wait to get filling it.
You must be a young man. Let's hope your youthful exuberance never wears off. Me, I hope to use less wood so not as much is required to restock. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,024  
You must be a young man. Let's hope your youthful exuberance never wears off. Me, I hope to use less wood so not as much is required to restock. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm not young, but prefer cold weather to hot for a lot of reasons. It's a lot easier to throw another log on the fire to warm the house up, than to build a fire generated AC unit to keep it cool. :D

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,025  
Burned through about 3.5 face cords here in southern Michigan so far this winter. Really only had about 10 days of actual deep winter, during late January.

I normally toss my logs into a pile and cut away at them over time (see behind the tractor). But I had a bigger diameter maple log my neighbor gave me, so figured I would hold it up in the air to cut - definitely easier on the back.

rw0hQCR.jpg

I'm not a huge strong guy, so picking up 100 lb rounds off the ground is not something I ever plan on doing. First time trying this method of just plucking them off the ground with my forks, worked very well! Just a lot of getting on and off the tractor.

EKTaprQ.jpg

I'm not sure why my log splitter decided to puke some hydraulic oil.... didn't do it for very long so I just kept running it. Pretty badly neglected machine overall, I'm embarrassed to say. A few ounces of gas into the tank, one shot of ether into the intake, and it fires right up and runs fine to split logs.

And not exactly tractor related, but some of my firewood goes into boiling sap. Earliest maple sap season that anyone can recall around here.

WwwMzDh.jpg

I like to build a refridgerator for storing my sap. Not sure it's really necessary, but it feels like the right thing to do to keep it fresh until I boil. Anyone else?

DYNet1j.jpg

b0nxD0f.jpg
Glad to see another sugarerrrrrrrr here! I'm going to be putting in my 100 taps on Friday!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,026  
I started a firewood side business last year. I won a bid on an F250 plow and dump bed truck the city was getting rid of. Here it is:

Work Truck.jpg

I have made a few deliveries using the bulk bag system I have adopted. Dumping the pallet/bag was not working well as most of the wood stayed in the bag. So I designed an attachment that allows me to lift the bag into the bed of the trunk without the pallet. I can then use ratchet straps through the bottom loops on the bulk bag to hold the bags in the bed while the bed dumps. Here I am loading with the new attachment:

Bulk Bag SSQA Attachment.jpg

Each bag holds 1/3 of cord and I can put two bags in the bed. That is about all the truck can carry.

This spring, I will be adding 18" sides to the truck so I can load the bed directly from the processor. Again, 2/3 of a cord per load.

An added bonus of the truck is the MVP Contractor plow. I will likely sell the inverted blower I have for the LS4140, and generate some cash from the sale. Plus, I will not need to store the blower inside any longer.

Trying to work smarter and not harder as I get older and lazier.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,027  
I started a firewood side business last year. I won a bid on an F250 plow and dump bed truck the city was getting rid of. Here it is:

I have made a few deliveries using the bulk bag system I have adopted. Dumping the pallet/bag was not working well as most of the wood stayed in the bag. So I designed an attachment that allows me to lift the bag into the bed of the trunk without the pallet. I can then use ratchet straps through the bottom loops on the bulk bag to hold the bags in the bed while the bed dumps. Here I am loading with the new attachment:

Each bag holds 1/3 of cord and I can put two bags in the bed. That is about all the truck can carry.

This spring, I will be adding 18" sides to the truck so I can load the bed directly from the processor. Again, 2/3 of a cord per load.
Nice truck! I've always wanted a 350/3500 dump truck, to support my personal landscaping projects and open up the possibility for side-hustle income. But I'm not ready to go there yet.

How is the market and pricing for 1/3 cord/facecords in "Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere" Michigan?

Typically $100-$130/face cord in SE MI but thats without delivery charges (unsure how much that adds as I never buy from others).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,028  
Nice truck! I've always wanted a 350/3500 dump truck, to support my personal landscaping projects and open up the possibility for side-hustle income. But I'm not ready to go there yet.

How is the market and pricing for 1/3 cord/facecords in "Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere" Michigan?

Typically $100-$130/face cord in SE MI but thats without delivery charges (unsure how much that adds as I never buy from others).
$80/face cord picked up for seasoned wood. I deliver for $20 in a 20 mile radius. That puts it at $180 for two face cords delivered. I am planning a "spring special" where I process directly into the truck and will charge $165 delivered.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,029  
Played tennis my whole life including D1 college and never had tennis elbow until now, when I am older......from firewood....LOL!
Off Topic:
24 years ago I used to be up in your neck of the woods daily. Schenectady, Ballston Spa, Saratoga, Amsterdam, etc.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,030  
I went to a friends place who a few hundred acres of mostly woods a brought back a load to my place. It’s oak and I probably won’t split it until early fall. My tractor was just barely able to pick up the largest log with my forks.
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2756.jpeg