Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,371  
Got a call from an HOA yesterday with a blown-downed pine tree.
Little 30 footer.
Blustery & Cloudy day. About 50*. I love this time of year. You can still see so much without leaves on the trees. And you don’t soak your clothes with sweat.

Nothing like a dump truck, chainsaw & a farm tractor with a loader to make for a 5 hour easy tree clean up.

1712442603801.jpeg

I’ll use the 261C for this.

1712442635785.jpeg

I kept on bucking the load to make sure it’d all fit.

Man…. I need a diesel chipper….and a skid loader…..and…

1712442676250.jpeg

Truck loaded and back at home base and ready for a trip to wood processor.

1712443384031.jpeg

Done. Time for a beer and some relaxation.

1712442773824.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,372  
I used a level quite a bit on that project. Those big swinging doors on the east end of the splitter shed swing real nice thanks to that.

I’ve had those (4) big iron strap hinges for about 10 years. I knew I’d find a use for them some day. A neighbor tore down an old barn and sold them at a garage sale for $ 10 for all (4).

I’m going to try skipping the middle outer support cross beam on the east end. That makes it sort of a pain to load and unload the woodshed from the back. I think the 2” thick white oak planks that I span from the lower cross beam to the upper 6” square beam will be strong enough to hold up the rows of stacked firewood on the south side.

The main reason I put in the removable center support beam, on the west end, was because there just happened to be a milled pocket in the 6” corner post. It was in just the right place to hold that end of the middle support beam. I’m going to get rid of it when I use up the firewood on that side.

If one of the white oak planks ever breaks and spills some firewood, I guess I could start using the center suoport beams again. I really doubt that will happen though. I do have one more sawed rafter section that is long enough to make another, if it turns out I need it.
View attachment 860992
No offense I hope. Just teasing.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,374  
No offense I hope. Just teasing.
None taken, and you are correct in the importance of keeping things plumb and square. My buddy did a pretty good job, when he put up the shell of my Stockade building, back in 2018. He put concrete under all of the pt fabricated posts. My nephew poured and finished the concrete floor sections inside and under the side porch and that has held up well with no cracks or water puddling.

It’s a lot easier to build onto and modify when everything is level and square. Besides the woodshed that I added onto the back porch, I used hand hewn timbers that I recovered from my great great grandads old barns, to make a loft and shops inside.

I had to do a lot of shimming to keep that loft floor level, because there was considerable variation in those hand/hewn timber sizes. The loft floor is made from 1” thick sawed chestnut roofing that I repurposed from the old barns. I topped that with 4 x 8 sheets of 5/8” osb (thankfully purchased before the Covid spike for $ 5.98 ea). The whole 12’ x 30’ loft floor is flat and level within 1/4”.

IMG_0672.jpeg

It’s been great having all of that lumber and timber’s that I recovered from those old barns. I’ve been able to add onto and inside of the new pole barn, completely unaffected by today’s inflated building materials cost.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,375  
Look at that ash go:

It got warm out yesterday afternoon and I worked late finishing up the woodshed. I didn’t have time to start the wood stove last night and the house was still quite warm inside from burning it the night before.

Not so this morning. Woke up to a hard frost and 65 degrees inside, so I lit her up. Maybe this will be the last time of the season, or maybe not. I still got a little left on the porch.

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4294.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,376  
20240404_153444.jpg I'll be burning it for a while longer. (Thursday picture)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,377  
This was Thursday here. Not the most snow we've ever had in April, but still feels a bit odd!
PXL_20240404_120841483_1.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,379  
4 years ago I took my snowsled out on May 8.
Wow, I don't remember it being snowy here then. I do remember in the late 90s when we got a huge storm on April 1st. I want to say it was at least a couple feet. I remember driving into work, driving around fallen trees on the road.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,380  
4 years ago I took my snowsled out on May 8.
I will never forget taking my then brand new boat (which I still have and use regularly), down to my buddy’s camp, for opening day of Walleye season on the first Saturday in May in 1989. We had to shovel over a foot of snow out of it that morning, before we could go out.

I’m going to leave the snowplow and rear tire chains on my Farmall Cub for at least another week or two “just in case”. I am looking forward to taking the plow off and beefing up the frame a bit, so that it will take the tongue weight of the boat (17 ft Sylvan Pro-fisherman).

I tried a front trailer hitch on it last year and it had plenty of hydraulic power to lift the boat hitch but the frame bent like a pretzel. I used my 22 ton log splitter as a press to straighten it out (who says you can only use those for wood).

I used the fixed rear hitch on it to move the boat into its summer pole barn location yesterday, and I parked the Cub in the newly completed splitter shed.
IMG_3829.jpeg

IMG_2219.jpeg

IMG_3655.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg