Trading in an almost new tractor?

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #1  

beeser

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2040
Still being somewhat unhappy with my new Bobcat 2040 purchase I may trade it in for a new John Deere in the next couple of weeks. How much can I expect to lose on the deal?

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #2  
In my area the John Deere dealer has almost nothing on the lot. People are buying, so you may not lose much.
A friend said he was offered $2K more for his truck than he paid, when car shopping.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #4  
I thank Jeff9366 in my head all the time for getting me into an mx series instead of the L series I was going to buy. The mx just looks so big on a lot, but on our properties it looks pretty small. I’d be in your same situation if I hadn’t taken his and all the other advice suggesting that I buy my 5th tractor first.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #5  
Dealer where I bought my Massey 1742 said they regularly take smaller units in trade after the buyer bought too small. The little guys are so cute, you just want to take them home to play with. Then when the s##t hits the fan the novelty wears off quickly.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor?
Dealer where I bought my Massey 1742 said they regularly take smaller units in trade after the buyer bought too small. The little guys are so cute, you just want to take them home to play with. Then when the s##t hits the fan the novelty wears off quickly.
Actually I'm thinking of getting something smaller if going from a Bobcat CT2040 to a John Deere 2038R is in that direction.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #8  
A friend said he was offered $2K more for his truck than he paid, when car shopping.

That seems to be a common occurrence these days. I hear of it on Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum all the time. But the flip side is that new trucks, if they're even available aren't being bargained with much, if at all. There are reports of premiums on top of sticker prices.
Even used trucks are high right now.

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #9  
I thank Jeff9366 in my head all the time for getting me into an mx series instead of the L series I was going to buy. The mx just looks so big on a lot, but on our properties it looks pretty small. I’d be in your same situation if I hadn’t taken his and all the other advice suggesting that I buy my 5th tractor first.
It would appear that you are a good bit smarter that the average bear!

/ Trading in an almost new tractor? #10  
I see that a lot around here. People buy a Scut or even a Cut and quickly realize they are too small to do meaningful work so they trade up. I'm kind of in that boat myself, having owned at least 10 Kubota's and I bought them all new but one.

Started out with a B7100 way back when which was a good lawnmower but not much else and as my needs grew, so did my tractor size. When I got into commercial forage growing I had a Grand L 5030 (my signature name) and soon realized it wasn't big enough. It was fine for raking and square bailing but not enough power (PTO) to run a round bailer efficiently so I stepped up to an M9 cab unit in 2002 and been with that ever since and 2 years ago bought a second M9 open station used but in very good condition.

I dislike changing implements all the time so the OS is my rake tractor and the cab unit runs the disc mower and the round bailer. Both are optioned out with 3 sets of remotes and 2 speed PTO's and both are on R1 rubber and both have FEL's with SSQA quick detach. The cab unit has the third function on the loader. I plow snow with it in the winter with a power angle 10 foot plow.

Attachments

• 100_0010 (1).JPG
    100_0010 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 158