Tragic Accident - Hydraulic Lift

/ Tragic Accident - Hydraulic Lift #31  
Getting crushed would be terrible. Imagine being stuck there by yourself, possibly surviving if only someone was around. The guy that ran the scrap yard in town died when a car crushed him.

Yep. It would be horrible being stuck and knowing you're gonna die. Just horrible. :(

/ Tragic Accident - Hydraulic Lift #32  
It doesn't sometimes take much for safety. Like a large block of wood (maybe even better than a wiggly chinese jack stand) so the thing can't fall all the way down. You might be trapped, or your clothing caught up on something, but not crushed. And maybe able to yell for help.

/ Tragic Accident - Hydraulic Lift #33  
I never work under a vehicle supported by a jack or crappy jack stands. I don’t trust those drive on ramps either. When I change oil I usually lift the vehicle with either a forklift or a floor jack and set the wheels on 6x6 blocks. I’m guilty of crossing under a loader or a dump bed.

/ Tragic Accident - Hydraulic Lift #34  
I've worked as a Pipefitter since the mid 70's. The first man lift I used was a JLG hydraulic boom style with a 30 ft boom. Back then we weren't required to use a harness to operate it. Since the late 90's, I've operated both scissor lifts and boom style lifts. OHSA here in Canada require minimum 8 hrs training and harnesses to operate them, and some of the companies require a 4 ft lanyard, others allow a 6 ft. I've operated boom style lifts that will extend 120 ft but only at a certain angle. Some of these will move (very slowly) extended. You definitely require some faith and control to operated at high heights.
For the gentleman who had the accident and his family, it must have been horrible. I've thought about the possibility often. I've since retired and am glad I won't be using any of these machines in the future

/ Tragic Accident - Hydraulic Lift #35  
Many places I go to, don't insist you follow safety regulations for the harnesses and operator training. Thank God! And many still put people up on a skid, via forklift. I'm not against safety, far from it. But let me use my common sense.