trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
#1,003  
Some type of sandstone?
Moss, if you are asking the rock people use here for road and trail base, its nonesuch shale.
--------------------------------------------
The Nonesuch Shale is a Proterozoic geologic formation that outcrops in Michigan and Wisconsin, United States, but has been found by drill holes to extend in the subsurface as far southwest as Iowa.

The Nonesuch is a lacustrine sequence of shale, siltstone, and sandstone, 150 to 210 m thick, that conformably overlies the alluvial Copper Harbor Conglomerate and is conformably overlain by the fluvial Freda Sandstone.[1] Together, the Copper Harbor, Nonesuch, and Freda make up the Oronto Group.[2] The Nonesuch is Middle Proterozoic, with an estimated age of approximately 1.1 billion years. It was deposited in the Midcontinent Rift.[3] The Nonesuch beds contain common organic carbon and pyrite.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,004  
Arly question for you. I put a new string trimmer head on my Stihl weed eater. It will take either 0.80 string or 0.95 string. 20 feet of the smaller and 16 feet of the bigger. Is it worth going to the larger string for durability.

As a side note I threw out all my other string and bought a new one of 0.80. I found a date code on my old string and it was 2011 and another was 2012. I had been beating my head against the wall using it as it was so brittle.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,005  
Moss, if you are asking the rock people use here for road and trail base, its nonesuch shale.
--------------------------------------------
The Nonesuch Shale is a Proterozoic geologic formation that outcrops in Michigan and Wisconsin, United States, but has been found by drill holes to extend in the subsurface as far southwest as Iowa.

The Nonesuch is a lacustrine sequence of shale, siltstone, and sandstone, 150 to 210 m thick, that conformably overlies the alluvial Copper Harbor Conglomerate and is conformably overlain by the fluvial Freda Sandstone.[1] Together, the Copper Harbor, Nonesuch, and Freda make up the Oronto Group.[2] The Nonesuch is Middle Proterozoic, with an estimated age of approximately 1.1 billion years. It was deposited in the Midcontinent Rift.[3] The Nonesuch beds contain common organic carbon and pyrite.
Thanks. Couldn't see any layers in the photos.

#1,006  
Arly question for you. I put a new string trimmer head on my Stihl weed eater. It will take either 0.80 string or 0.95 string. 20 feet of the smaller and 16 feet of the bigger. Is it worth going to the larger string for durability.

As a side note I threw out all my other string and bought a new one of 0.80. I found a date code on my old string and it was 2011 and another was 2012. I had been beating my head against the wall using it as it was so brittle.
Some years ago I had a salesman* tell me that nylon absorbs some water and wetting or soaking string before use makes it last longer. Going to larger string always helps it last longer. If you're not working against buildings or something you hope to not damage, I'd go much larger than 95.

* complete BS?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,007  
I’ve read keeping it wet helps also. I think it’s on Stihl website. At the Stihl dealer they said put a little water in a zip lock bag and seal the string in it. The old string I just threw out I soaked in water overnight and it didn’t help.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,008  
1690221973171.png

🤯

I saw this mentioned a few messages up and I was like "pfff right" but reading further on the 'net apparently the nylon the trimmer line is made of is a hygroscopic material (absorbs water from the air or liquid) and it helps keep it plastic.

Given that my tool shed gets very hot in the summer, and dry, this is going to be a game-changer for us here; I think I'll get a bucket with a lid, put water in the bottom + a brick, and keep the spool of trimmer line on top of it.

#1,009  
I did read up on nylon and see it does indeed absorb a micro amount of water. Nonetheless, when we are whacking our way through whatever weeds-n-shoots, green juice gets flung everywhere. So trying to keep them wet in advance was not worth the hassle so we don't do it.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,010  
I did read up on nylon and see it does indeed absorb a micro amount of water. Nonetheless, when we are whacking our way through whatever weeds-n-shoots, green juice gets flung everywhere. So trying to keep them wet in advance was not worth the hassle so we don't do it.
Experience is your friend.