trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #151  
I just put all my Echo gear up for sale on Criags list. We are switching to Stihl. View attachment 708357
Why the switch to Stihl?

I ask because my local dealer stocks both, and everyone there from sales to their mechanics have done the opposite for their personal use. I was looking at the Stihl Farmboss and the Echo Timberwolf, which was out of stock. Dealer recommended waiting for another Timberwolf rather than selling the Farmboss he had sitting on the shelf. Curious to hear other opinions.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Why the switch to Stihl?

I ask because my local dealer stocks both, and everyone there from sales to their mechanics have done the opposite for their personal use. I was looking at the Stihl Farmboss and the Echo Timberwolf, which was out of stock. Dealer recommended waiting for another Timberwolf rather than selling the Farmboss he had sitting on the shelf. Curious to hear other opinions.
You are speaking about chain saws while I'm talking powerheads and the tools to go on them. On these, the Stihl's setup is much, much better. Tell me if that helps. For chain saws, I do own a pro Stihl, but don't use it much. :rolleyes:

/ trail clearing technique and tools #153  
Volunteers who help maintain any type of trail don't get the consideration they should. I helped with our snowmobile trails in SE Minnesota for over 35 years. I enjoyed the work in the fall with brush clearing, installing the trail signs, bridge building and a host of tasks that go along with having a trail system that for us, ran almost entirely on private land with landowner's permission.

While I enjoyed the work it was frustrating to listen to trail users (who never offered to help) complaining. And sometimes these were the same people who trespassed on private land without the owners permission and got a section of the trail closed. Re-routing a trail can be a major problem, especially during the winter.

So Arly, the cross country ski trail users should be on their knees thanking you and the other volunteers for the work you do.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #154  
Anybody use a backpack style brush cutter. My straight shaft looks like it locked up so looking at getting something else. Biggest use is for cutting thick nasty vegetation. I like the option for a pole saw with the backpack one.
I like the fact that the backpack one has 52cc as i have a 45cc that has good power but it gets heavy.

Screenshot_20210816-183658_Google.jpg

All the string trimmers we've had were pretty well balanced with its engine. Now you move the power head to your back? :unsure: I see this as a long pole with a weight at its end.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #156  
I've seen videos using them on steep slopes.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #157  
All the string trimmers we've had were pretty well balanced with its engine. Now you move the power head to your back? :unsure: I see this as a long pole with a weight at its end.
That's why I'm asking, the one I have is 26lbs total and I use a shoulder harness but it's still an arm workout swinging this beast around for a couple hours. Moving the weight to the back would make it a little easier.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #158  
I've got probably 7 miles of trails that I created and maintain, and am making more each year. But I think you would probably classify them more as roads than trails. My minimum criteria is that it needs to be mowable with my tractor and brush cutter, and drivable on a side-by-side. That's the only way I'd ever be able to maintain them. And my latest construction standard is that I cut them back pretty much as far as I can with an excavator and mulcher head. That way I get much less downed crap over time, and it lasts 5+ years before I need to cut it back again. That reduces annual maintenance to mowing with the brush cutter.

So all in all a very different approach. I could never keep up with a pole saw and string trimmer.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #159  
I learned to make trails twice as wide as I want them, because they will close in soon enough.

If you mow them low, clear the new branches growing over head and of course any dead falls and leaners, yearly maintenance doesn't take all that much. At least here in the northern hardwoods. (photo taken by accident) :LOL:

I should add, you must do this yearly.....
P1120186.jpg

Last edited: