trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #971  
We had a big wind storm come through a couple weeks ago. We’ve got a back trail through our woods and a pretty good sized tree fell across it. I grabbed the large pieces for firewood and shoved the rest out of the way. The heat index was in the mid 90’s, not fun chain sawing weather.
IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2174.jpeg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #972  
We had some limbs to blow down in the field over the weekend. I was grateful to be able to get them up with the grapple without touching them because it's prime snake season in Middle Tennessee. Temps in the mid 90s with heat index about 105 F so far. It will probably be Nov-Dec. before it cools enough for me to feel comfortable walking in our woods.

Meanwhile, having to watch for ticks. Found one on me this morning that I removed with a gadget called a tick-twister. It's like a carpenter's cats paw nail puller in shape except its designed to pull out ticks without squeezing their bodies in the process. It is designed for dogs, but since I have it, thought I'd try it on myself. Did seem to work. I think it might be good for pulling ticks off animals without the risk of pinching the ticks.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Anyone ever get flats on there utv or atv from these shoots left by brush mowing?
brtshoots0504.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #974  
Yes on low pressure factory cheap 2-4 ply ATV tires. Bought 6 ply with 14" rims problems solved. I also have not ripped a cv boot since putting slightly bigger/wider tires on .

Towing dead-falls on our trails today. Top photo shows why we don't drive small 4x4 out there.
6x6weeds0497.jpg
6x670494.jpg
6x6tows510.jpg
6x60511.jpg
6x6brt0513.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #976  
   / trail clearing technique and tools #978  
Stubble is a possible downside to cutting with a tractor rotary mower when cutting woody brush and saplings.

Do you carry any double pulleys and single pulleys for re-directs and increased mechanical advantage for pulling downed trees?

Yes on low pressure factory cheap 2-4 ply ATV tires. Bought 6 ply with 14" rims problems solved. I also have not ripped a cv boot since putting slightly bigger/wider tires on .
I just checked these Carlisle tires and see they are 4 ply. Says they are made in the USA.

Stubble is a possible downside to cutting with a tractor rotary mower when cutting woody brush and saplings.

Do you carry any double pulleys and single pulleys for re-directs and increased mechanical advantage for pulling downed trees?
No I don't. I thought I'd need to winch some logs around but I didn't need to. Seems I could have doubled the towing effort with this machine from what I did today.
brt519.jpg