trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
These mini forwarders are quite interesting to me. We were trained to disperse or hid debris when doing trails which is what we do. You don't want trail users to notice a trail was cleared. I guess if we were taking wood home to burn, they would be usefull. Still a cool setup!

/ trail clearing technique and tools #662  
These mini forwarders are quite interesting to me. We were trained to disperse or hid debris when doing trails which is what we do. You don't want trail users to notice a trail was cleared. I guess if we were taking wood home to burn, they would be usefull.
Or just cutting where you drop the tree make multiple trips to get it out with a smaller trailer or skidding them out to make wood closer to location, even if you have to buy or make a 300 dollar log arch still way ahead imo. Still a very neat idea I'm sure some folks can find a valid use for.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #663  
I own a forwarding trailer, but it's on the heavy side for use behind an ATV or SXS: it's probably close to 1500# empty, and can carry a 6000# payload. Mine is too small to be of interest for a commercial logger, and too expensive for a typical landowner to consider just for personal use (I got it used with only about 50 hours on it for a good price). Mine has the optional hydraulic winch. It's much slower than the 3 Pt Hitch logging winch on my tractor, but it is handy reaching logs that are not right on the trail. Given the limited reach of the boom, I would not own one of these trailers without a winch.

There seems to be a big gap between the lighter models intended for use behind a 4-wheeler: about $3000, rated for 1 ton with the boom manually operated (swing by hand, hoist with a hand cranked winch or a small electric winch) and those designed for use behind a tractor ($20,000 & up). There are a few on eBay in the middle ground, around $8000 with a 3000# rating. Pictures show them in use behind an ATV/UTV, but I imaging the load would exceed the tow rating of the ATV. Some have an optional hydraulic drive on the trailer wheels: helpful to get moving again when stuck, and also act as a brake when going down hill (movement is rather slow then the hydraulic drive is engaged).

Here is mine hauling some firewood home after doing wildlife mast tree release and trail cleanup:
M95 firewood load.jpg

and another picture where I was helping my daughter with her Girl Scout Gold Project, creating an outdoor classroom area in the woods behind our local elementary school.
M95 MCS Woods.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #664  
That looks like a pretty hefty investment. You must be doing a lot of work with your forwarding trailer?

/ trail clearing technique and tools #665  
That looks like a pretty hefty investment. You must be doing a lot of work with your forwarding trailer?
Way too expensive for me to buy new. I had been wanting one for years, but just could not justify the price. The used ones which came up for sale were far too big for my needs and/or beat to death. I got it for a little over half what a new one ran at the time. If I had to pay full price, I'd still be wishing for one while using my home built, run-of-the-mill woods trailer made form an old mobile home axle. I'm afraid to even look at what they cost new today.

I use it on my own property, and helping out abutting landowners, at another wooded parcel owned cooperatively by 16 families in the area, and in support of of our local firewood donation program. I don't own a sawmill, but a neighbor does, which creates opportunities for barter. I'd guess the use is split roughly evenly between firewood and sawlogs, though most recently, it's been heavily slanted toward firewood - between storm damage and clearing culled trees from some crop tree release I'm doing on my property.

I don't work in the woods professionally. I bought it more to make my life easier than for financial gain (which is pretty much the same reason I bought my tractor). I'm sure if I ran the numbers, it would still be hard to justify financially. If I sold all of the logs and firewood I brought out of the woods rather than giving it to friends or bartering it, it would probably be justifiable. However, if I didn't own it, I'd find another way to get the wood out.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #667  
So, are you taking it down?

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Cross posted but its good for this thread. To end myth that pumping a fuel bulb on 2 stroke engines will flood it. It doesn't, unless your cab needs work. These pump bulbs only fill the system, not flood it. Here is a nice video showing how these bulbs work.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #670