Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I am considering a trailer purchase. I have looked at most every type and am trying to decide on exactly what will best fit my needs. We currently have a 16' 7K with angle iron sides and a 8' 2K trailer for a single four-wheeler.

I am looking for something at least 20' long to be able to handle my JD 5303 MFWD w/FEL and one attachment. The tractor I have estimated at approximately 7300 lbs and my MX6 cutter at 1000 lbs for a total estimated load of 8300 lbs. My current tow vehicle is a F150 that is rated up to 10K. My trips at this time are expected to be 15 to 20 miles each way a couple times a year. I think I have narrowed it to a 20' long 12K trailer to give a little room for more weight if my needs change in the future. I do realize the limitation is the truck, but am not ready to address or change that at this time.

My question is whether to go with a flat equipment trailer with no side rails or something like a utility trailer with the pipe rails? We have an 8' disk that I think would fit on an equipment trailer without rails behind the fenders. Talked to one guy this week that said in those situations he sat his disk on top of the pipe rails on wooden supports. I can see benefits and drawbacks to both types of trailers. For those that have experience with this, what do you have and like or what would you do different if you could. What about the stand up ramps? My tractor and cutter measure 24' from bucket lip to tail wheel. If going 20' it will need to hang off the back some and I can curl the bucket to get further on trailer.

Any advice or suggestion will be appreciated.

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #2  
I'm in the same quandry as you are. Personally I like the complete side rail setup. False security maybe, but I still like them.

I would also like a drive up gate, ramps are fine but I just like having the full width drive up option. The BX is no problem lining up to the ramps, the RTV and the cars are another story, can't see where the rear tires are.. A spotter is almost necessary, unless you run up on the trailer every day. Maybe I'm paranoid, but the stuff going on the trailer costs enough to not want to take any risks,.

Seems most trailers now are flat deck or landscape, but not a hybrid of the two.

A seemingly easy purchase can make your head spin.

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #4  
I personally like the rail. I have had both and my current trailer is a 18' low boy style with a rail. I have a flat deck, no dove tail for me, and I love the slide in ramps. I haul something different about every week and have never had a issue with lining up the wheels in the 8 years I have now had this trailer.

Chris

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #5  
If your talking about gettng a 20Ft. 12K trailer then mosts of your flatbed trailers will be made of 6-8In channel Iron material.

If you drop down to a trailer with 5,200# rated axles then you could also drop down to a flatbed trailer constructed of 5In channel instead of the more heavy 6In.

I like flatbeds so when we want to take the atv's out I just load up from the sides with an atv ramp. If you are hauling something then most of the time the load is strapped down so why need the sides.

image.php

If you are not going to be getting a larger truck any time soon then less weight would be my option. More weight means less fuel mpg and more wear on truck.

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #6  
I prefer no "side rails" on my trailers!

But "rub rails" along the edge of the trailer makes finding the right tie-down point easy. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• GARDEN TRACTORS 613 (Small).jpg
    GARDEN TRACTORS 613 (Small).jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 186
   / Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #7  
load of 8300 lbs.
1* My current tow vehicle is a F150 that is rated up to 10K.
2*I do realize the limitation is the truck, but am not ready to address or change that at this time.
3*My question is whether to go with a flat trailer with no side rails or a trailer with the pipe rails?
4*I can see benefits and drawbacks to both types of trailers.
What about the stand up ramps?
5*My tractor and cutter measure 24' from bucket lip to tail wheel.
6*If going 20' it will need to hang off the back some
1*But will it stop it ? ? ? ??
2*Then don't use the trailer with the wrong tow vehicle.
3*No side rails is the only way to go:thumbsup:.
Side rails are a PITA as you can't unload them with a loader and you can't load or unload them with forks. :thumbdown:
4*I don't see any thing good about side rails .
5*That's to long for a 20 foot trailer.
6*That's not legal.

7*I'm in the same quandry as you are. Personally I like the complete side rail setup.
8*False security maybe, but I still like them.
9*I would also like a drive up gate* ramps are fine but I just like having the full width drive up option.
The BX is no problem lining up to the ramps, the RTV and the cars are another story, can't see where the rear tires are .

7* like I said side rails are a PITA.
8* Why do you think Side rails offer more security :confused2:
9*Drive on gates create a lot of wind resistance and decrease fuel milage.
A tilt bed is the answer.

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #8  
Side rails have a place LB. I haul building materials, fire wood, and boat stands weekly on my 18' trailer along with hay, cars, and tractors. The lumber, cars, tractors and such are no issue to strap down but other things like insulation, firewood, ect its another story.

If it were not for side rails I would spend hours strapping down stuff. Many times I am hauling just 40 bales of hay. Others its 30 boat stands. Yesterday it was 4 ricks of fire wood. Like to see you haul them on a trailer with no side rails. I can still put cars, trucks, and tractors on it. With a car the door will not usually open and I have to crawl though the window or rear hatch. Trucks are no issue.

Chris

/ Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #9  
Side rails have a place LB. I haul building materials, fire wood, and boat stands weekly on my 18' trailer along with hay, cars, and tractors. The lumber, cars, tractors and such are no issue to strap down but other things like insulation, firewood, ect its another story.

If it were not for side rails I would spend hours strapping down stuff. Many times I am hauling just 40 bales of hay. Others its 30 boat stands. Yesterday it was 4 ricks of fire wood. Like to see you haul them on a trailer with no side rails. I can still put cars, trucks, and tractors on it. With a car the door will not usually open and I have to crawl though the window or rear hatch. Trucks are no issue.

Chris

That's what sideboards are for! I do have full sideboards for this trailer, just use the front ones frequently. Slated sides for my green one, aluminum ramp sides for the little Snowco. ~~ grnspot110

Attachments

• Wildlife 112a (Small).JPG
    Wildlife 112a (Small).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 233
   / Trailer Advice/Suggestions Needed #10  
IMO side rails limit a trailer in use and offer up a false sense of security,I.E. dont have to secure the load as well as a trailer without side rails.. There is so much more a "car hauler" style trailer can do over a side rail trailer. Tie down,rub rails whatever you want to call them are a must for both styles of trailers IMO. There is nothing a trailer without side rails cant haul, that a trailer with side rails can haul, yet not so the other way around.
I haul alot of equipment and material, my suggestion is without side rails. Regardless of style you choose, for a 20' 12 k trailer you are looking at empty weight 3000-3500k for the trailer, atleast thats what mine weigh, so factor that into the tow vehicle capabilities.With an F-150 as the tow vehicle, I would opt for a quality brake controller, like a Prodigy3 or along those lines. One of the biggest mistakes I see people do when loading trailers is try and "center" the weight on the trailer so as not to make the truck squat. You want the truck to squat or have tongue weight so the trailer will follow without swaying.

Last edited: