Trailer Brake Battery

/ Trailer Brake Battery #1  

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I probably know the answer to this - but being hard-headed, I need confirmation... after all - this is a $15 dollar battery we're talking about :)

The emergency 12 volt emergency brake battery on my trailer has been out of use for about 4 years. Today I checked it with a volt meter and it was down to ~6 volts. The battery is one of those totally sealed batteries. After putting it on a charger for about 4 hours or more, it wouldn't charge to more than 10.5 volts. And that is after trying various charging methods like 2AH charging rates, 10 AH, and even on a auto-sensing charger.

Is that a problem? Or should I assume that the battery is shot and not worth messing with? I guess the other question is - is that battery important to my electric trailer brakes?

PS And just for another case of CYA... on the cover of the battery box the manufacturer imprints a statement "Battery MUST be checked prior to every use." huh? Are they kidding. Total BS - I don't believe anybody checks their trailer battery BEFORE EVERY use.

/ Trailer Brake Battery #2  
I probably know the answer to this - but being hard-headed, I need confirmation... after all - this is a $15 dollar battery we're talking about :)

The emergency 12 volt emergency brake battery on my trailer has been out of use for about 4 years. Today I checked it with a volt meter and it was down to ~6 volts. The battery is one of those totally sealed batteries. After putting it on a charger for about 4 hours or more, it wouldn't charge to more than 10.5 volts. And that is after trying various charging methods like 2AH charging rates, 10 AH, and even on a auto-sensing charger.

Is that a problem? Or should I assume that the battery is shot and not worth messing with? I guess the other question is - is that battery important to my electric trailer brakes?

PS And just for another case of CYA... on the cover of the battery box the manufacturer imprints a statement "Battery MUST be checked prior to every use." huh? Are they kidding. Total BS - I don't believe anybody checks their trailer battery BEFORE EVERY use.

It is important as if you have a breakaway; that is what will power your trailer brakes to bring it to a stop so that it does not go plowing merrily into things that would have high liability if found that you did not have a working system.

I will agree that many folks probably do not check it but I will agree with the manufacturer's lawyers; you should. It is your liability and future financial ruin if an accident occurs that it could have avoided and you are found negligent because you did not check and maintain it.

I am not perfect but I do check mine each time I hook up. If the trailer stays attached for a period of time I do not check it each day as it is being recharged by the vehicle system if properly wired and thus I have a high confidence that it is good since the last hookup. I probably have never had the trailer on for more than a week at a time anyway.

Just saying

/ Trailer Brake Battery #3  

It will take it a while to charge up. I would put it back on the charger on the lowest setting and keep a close eye on it and make sure it does not get hot. You may get lucky and it may charge up and if it doesn't your really are not out anything.

/ Trailer Brake Battery #4  
It is important as if you have a breakaway; that is what will power your trailer brakes to bring it to a stop so that it does not go plowing merrily into things that would have high liability if found that you did not have a working system.

I will agree that many folks probably do not check it but I will agree with the manufacturer's lawyers; you should. It is your liability and future financial ruin if an accident occurs that it could have avoided and you are found negligent because you did not check and maintain it.

I am not perfect but I do check mine each time I hook up. If the trailer stays attached for a period of time I do not check it each day as it is being recharged by the vehicle system if properly wired and thus I have a high confidence that it is good since the last hookup. I probably have never had the trailer on for more than a week at a time anyway.

Just saying

Very good answer. One we should all heed.

/ Trailer Brake Battery #5  
My battery came with a test button on the case. Pushing it shows a red, green, yellow light to indicate the charge level. Still, I leave mine on a tender when not in use just to be safe. I don't tow all that often. Maybe something you can retrofit to your trailer?

/ Trailer Brake Battery #6  
If it's not showing anywhere near 12v after four hours of charging, it's probably got a dead cell. Replace with a new one. All of my 'seasonal' batteries come inside in late fall (lawn tractor, motorcycle, breakaway battery etc) and I put them on a rotation on the trickle charger. If you don't tow that often, you might want to look at a small solar battery maintainer.

/ Trailer Brake Battery #7  
Just get a new one. I order them on Amazon and EBay dirt cheap.

It's known as a UB1250. They cost about $12 to your door.

Chris

/ Trailer Brake Battery
All points are certainly valid. A new battery will be installed before using the trailer again. Many thanks.

/ Trailer Brake Battery #9  
I bought some high power battery/ electric wench connectors I picked up from Napa. I take the battery out when not in use (a rarely use the trailer) and, like Chris, I leave it on trickle charge. That way it's not subject to the weather.

One think to note is make sure your battery is wired correctly. The positive terminal should connect to the wire that goes to the breakaway switch AND to either a trickle charger (looks like a small rubber block) or directly to the 12 volt supply wire on the 7-pin connector. I have seen more than one trailer that didn't have any means of charging the battery. I've seen two types of trickle chargers. The first trickle charger has 3 wires, one goes to the 12 volt power from the 7 pin connector, the second wire goes to the positive terminal on the battery, and the third goes to the break away switch. The other style the third wire goes to ground while the second wire connects to both the positive terminal of the battery and the safety switch.

The easiest way to tell is to check to see if the battery connects to just the breakaway switch and nothing else. If your trailer doesn't charge the breakaway battery then the trailer mfg just figured that the charge in the battery would last for several years and then the owner would replace the battery. If you use your trailer on a semi regular basis I would install a trickle charger (they are cheap) if your trailer doesn't include a way to charge the battery.

/ Trailer Brake Battery #10  
I bought a cheap trickle charger type solar panel* and installed it on my trailer box lid. Mounted a "used" 12v 18AH sealed lead acid battery in the box and use it to power the trailer's electric winch and the breakaway brake. Every time I use the trailer I test the battery by running the winch . . . the electric winch saves a lot of cranking. When I first got the winch I was thinking it was a bit over the top, but having used it for several months, it's worthwhile, I can run the winch with one hand whilst hooking up the chains or trailer plug - - I guess multi-tasking appeals to my inner Type-A.

*Don't get a panel that's more than a watt or so, that way there's no need to add a solar charge controller as the small panel won't overcharge the battery.

bumper