Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I ordered a Silverado 1500 three weeks ago and one of the options I added was the factory brake controller. Got a great deal on the truck, paying $6,000 less than MSRP with all applicable discounts. Got a call from the dealer today saying that the factory brake controller was temporarily not available, and did I want to proceed without the brake controller or wait until it became available. I asked how long would the wait be, and he said Chevy could not say. Part of the chip shortage thing. Decided the wait was not worth it, as my current tow vehicle, a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer just blew the transmission this past weekend and we are down to one car for the Mrs. and me.

I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller in my Trailblazer, and like it a lot, so I could put that in the new truck. But I went to Tekonsha's website and they have a new model, Prodigy Id that they say is the most advanced controller they offer. It has a control dial that you mount in the dash, so it gives a factory install look (actually I like the look of it better than the factory controller). It has a control box that you mount hidden under the dash. They sell a custom wiring harness that goes from the control box to the Silverado for easy installation, no splicing etc. While I have been very happy with the Prodigy P3, I'm not crazy about the hang it under the dash look. Does anyone have the new Prodigy Id? How do they like it? I really like the clean look of the install, but I like the P3's boost button and digital display. The Prodigy Id has a phone app, which controls a ton of stuff, trailer memory, boost, high and low voltage etc. Looking for anyone with personal experience with the new Prodigy Id.

Prodigy Id.jpg

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #2  
Cant speak to brands of brake controllers. But definitely get one which is designed to plug into the trucks brakes. A couple of folks at work did serious damage to the braking systems of new trucks, by trying to install their older controls into new vehicles. One shorted out the brake system and it ate the ABS system. almost $3000 to repair. The other somehow damaged/disconnected the rear harness so the brake lights didn’t work on the truck..

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #3  
Look carefully at the dash of the new truck. With many newer vehicles there is no "under the dash". The actual location may well be somewhere hidden behind the panel which constitutes the lower dash.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #4  
I notice that GM is not installing heated seats either. I've been causally shopping (for years!) for a replacement of my DD and just for kicks have been doing the "Build Your Own" on each manufacture's website. Both GM brands for 1/2 ton and compact truck builds call out the brake controller and heated seats.

Boylerman - I understand your situation, but it must be tough to spend that kind of money on a new truck and miss the features you need. I think I would wait if I were you. Its the most expensive option because you probably will need to rent a car or fix the Trailblazer, but I think you should get what you want and not regret it. Nothing like paying for something big that just misses the mark.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #5  
I have used GM trucks as tow vehicles for many, many years and have had the factory controllers in the last three trucks. Frankly, I am not impressed with the factory controller and on my 2011 I replaced it with a Prodigy so I could control my electric over hydraulic brakes without adding magnets to BS the controller into sensing the trailer. I'd go with the Prodigy.

I also had the TCM fully apply the trailer brakes while doing 65 on the interstate through the factory controller. Not a fun time and I had to disconnect the trailer brakes to get home. The dealer replaced the TCM under warranty.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #6  
You might find some help at website's such as etrailer.com. Good folks to deal with also.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #7  
The Ford TBC is available as a factory option or dealer-installed.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #8  
The Ford TBC is available as a factory option or dealer-installed.
Or aftermarket. Easily installed on my 2014 F-150. For some bizarre reason, fleet service ordered our trucks with full towing package, EXCEPT the brake controllers. Harness was there, relay and fuse in the glove box with a plug to hook up external, but no controller. But we did get real fancy WeatherTech mats, nerf steps, and RanchHand bumper bars. I picked up an OE controller and had it installed in about 10 minutes. ForScan software and a $50 link module to access a few options and bingo, it works beautifully on my old jalopy of a trailer. Took longer to get to one of the wire ties on the harness than it did for the rest of the install. I think they bought a wire tie and built the truck around it.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #9  
I would favor the factory TBC because there are things the factory can do to integrate traction control and ABS with the trailer which aftermarket can not.

Then again the 2008 SuperDuty coffee table book said the factory TBC was developed in partnership with Tekonsha.

Dealer added TBC to my 2018 before I drove it home.

/ Trailer Brake Controller Not Available From Chevy, Looking at Tekonsha Prodigy Id #10  
Can you twist that dial to adjust the brakes? I have a few prodigy controllers and I hate the newer model with the push button adjustments vs the wheel.