Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #1  

RandyT

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK45S
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with the integrated brake controller that locks the trailer brake when you apply the vehicle brakes. Brakes work properly when the manual switch is applied. The trailer brakes are properly adjusted and the Gain is set at 0.0. Trailer works with nephews 2008 F250 with integrated brake controller. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is.

When I bought the trailer new the gain was set at 3.0, and as the brakes broke in I lowered the gain because they kept locking when stopped and would take about 2 seconds to release to take off, finally hit a point were I couldn't go any lower and will still slide the trailer tires on pavement.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #2  
I've never messed with an integrated controller before, but my controller has two adjustments on it. One is how hard the brakes apply, and the other is how fast it takes to apply the set power. Is yours maybe like that? The other thing, some 6pole plugs are wired different than others. It seems flatbeds tend to be different than any of the others. Is yours a 6 pole plug?

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #3  
Check the brake adjustment, loose brakes can case that.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied.
Brakes where adjusted up to the wheel lock position and then backed off slightly with slight brake drag according to the brake adjustment directions.

The only adjustment I have on the controller is the gain and the manual engagement lever. Brakes work fine using the manual lever but lock when the foot brake is applied.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #5  
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 with the integrated brake controller that locks the trailer brake when you apply the vehicle brakes. Brakes work properly when the manual switch is applied. The trailer brakes are properly adjusted and the Gain is set at 0.0. Trailer works with nephews 2008 F250 with integrated brake controller. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is.

When I bought the trailer new the gain was set at 3.0, and as the brakes broke in I lowered the gain because they kept locking when stopped and would take about 2 seconds to release to take off, finally hit a point were I couldn't go any lower and will still slide the trailer tires on pavement.

I have a Dodge Ram with an after market controller. It has a setting for gain. If it works on your nephews truck, maybe it is the Dodge controller that is at fault. I would never want my trailer brakes to "lock" when I applied the brake pedal. I would however want that if the break-away circuit was activated. Maybe your control is mis-wired?

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #6  
Check your plugs, where the wires go on the lugs. Sounds like on one side or the other, the wire for the brake lights, is coming in contact with the wire for the brakes. I use eyelets on mine to make the connection onto the lugs. And even then, once I had the same problem. One of the eyelets had pivoted on the trailer side, and was making contact between the brake light, and brake lugs. Just touch the brakes, and the would lock up. That may be why they work fine on the other trucks. Check your wire connections on your truck plug...

If on yours, the wires just slip under the hold downs, it may have moved.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #7  
I'd would check the 5 oclock position = brake controller output with voltmeter to ground. I would also check that same 5 oclock pin for corrosion shorting out to ground.

If it a integrated unit, is it still under warranty? I'd check it out with them first.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #8  
You can do a little experiment, to see if it is a brake light wire is making direct contact the the brake wire in the truck plug. Being the right turn/brake pin is usually next to the trailer brake pin, on 6 and 7 pole plugs, you can either turn on your right turn signal, or emergency flashers, and when pulling, the trailer brakes will pulsate in time with the lights flashing.

Actually, you should be able to just walk back and hear the magnets activating on the brakes, and should be in time with the lights flashing.

If not, you can eliminate the cross connection.

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied. #9  
You either have a crossed wire on the trailer that is allowing the brake light wire to intersect the brake circuit or there is a problem with your new Dodges built in brake controller.

My guess is if its working fine on the 08 Ford, I would try it again to make sure, then it has to be in the trucks end.

Chris

/ Trailer brakes locking when brake pedal applied.
Actually, you should be able to just walk back and hear the magnets activating on the brakes, and should be in time with the lights flashing.

If not, you can eliminate the cross connection.

Trailer magnets click with both left and right turn signal on Dodge but not with Ford. will contact Dodge dealer tomorrow to have them check it out.