Trailer questions

/ Trailer questions #31  
I have a 16ft carhauler. It has a solid wood 2x6 treated deck, and a dovetail, and 2 3500lb axles for a 7k capacity, obviously minus the trailer weight leaves about 5500lbs of payload ability.

But for me the lighter trialer is what i wanted, i did not want a 5K landscape dual axle trailer but did not want a heavier duty 7k (heavier empty weight) or a 10k triailer. I have an older truck and its already a good bit of weight with the carhauler, i would not want an additional 500-1000#s just to pull around. I am only loading a 2000lb yanmar on it with a few 4ft attachments at most.

16', fully decked, and its dry weight is only 1500 pounds? I'd say that you have one of the lighter trailers I've found in that category. If it does what you need and is reasonably strong, you've got a good trailer for your need. Most of the stuff I saw in the 6k range (1k lighter than yours) had empty weights that were higher than 1500.

/ Trailer questions #32  
i honestly dont know what it weights, i called the manufacturer and they said uhh 1500??

Its made by lone wolf, if anybody knows a better weight for it id love to know.

This is a link to my trailer. Its just like the picture there. I dont have brakes on it, but a plan is to put brakes on one axle.

Standard Car Hauler

/ Trailer questions #33  
I have a 18' car hauler with a wood deck, 5' slide in ramps, tool box, and 4,500# winch plus a spare tire and its right at 1,400# leaving 5,600# for cargo. Its a 2004 and has so many miles on it i just put its 3rd set of tires on it back in the spring.

Its a solid trailer that hauls tractors, cars, and trucks as large as a Suburban.

Weight does not equal strength.

Chris

/ Trailer questions #34  
clemsonfor said:
i honestly dont know what it weights, i called the manufacturer and they said uhh 1500??

This is a link to my trailer. Its just like the picture there. I dont have brakes on it, but a plan is to put brakes on one axle.

Standard Car Hauler

I wonder how they get away selling a trailer with that much gvwr and no brakes. around here anything greater then 2000# needs brakes. Not everyone complies but if your close i guess you could plead ignorant but 5500 is stretching it.

/ Trailer questions #35  
I have a 18' car hauler with a wood deck, 5' slide in ramps, tool box, and 4,500# winch plus a spare tire and its right at 1,400# leaving 5,600# for cargo. Its a 2004 and has so many miles on it i just put its 3rd set of tires on it back in the spring.

Its a solid trailer that hauls tractors, cars, and trucks as large as a Suburban.

Weight does not equal strength.

Chris

You guys found trailers that give a lot of flexibility for cargo. I just wasn't finding it in my search, so I went 10k. I have more than I need, which really means I can go longer before complaining I don't have enough. lol

I wonder how they get away selling a trailer with that much gvwr and no brakes. around here anything greater then 2000# needs brakes. Not everyone complies but if your close i guess you could plead ignorant but 5500 is stretching it.

It's all about the GVWR. Anything over 2k in CT requires brakes on all wheels. Period. If you don't got it, it don't get registered.

/ Trailer questions #36  

Standard Car Hauler

Interesting that they don't know.

/ Trailer questions #37  
Interesting that they don't know.

I could of been talking to a sales man who i honestly dont put a lot of faith in, as a whole. Im sure i could have asked him to go look it up in the specs, but i just wanted a ball park figure which is what i told him. I was just trying to get an idea for total weight i was pulling, just kind of a gee whiz fact is all. If i remember right i said what do you figure this trailer weighs ball park 1200, 1500, or 1700? I think i said something to that effect??? Had it 3 years all i remember is 1500, thats close enough for what i care.

/ Trailer questions #38  
Here in the Ga, SC area most trailers are running without brakes. Most equiptment trailers and car haulers in the 7K and under range dont have brakes, and if they do its only on one axle.

/ Trailer questions #39  
Here in the Ga, SC area most trailers are running without brakes. Most equiptment trailers and car haulers in the 7K and under range dont have brakes, and if they do its only on one axle.

It seems that this tends to be driven at the state level. CT is getting tougher on trailers and they're also making it harder to register trailers as "home made". For me, I would never own a trailer like the one I have without brakes. I hauled about 5,000 pounds of firewood logs today and the trailer pulled and stopped very nicely. My total payload was probably about 7500 lbs with the weight of the trailer added in. Dual axle, brakes all around. No issues with stopping at all.

/ Trailer questions #40  
Around here they're even cracking down on your class of drivers license for anyone pulling and trailer with a gvw greater than 10k. Also your tow vehicle must be rated for as well.