Trailer Safety Chain concern

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
Greetings.

I recently purchased a 5 x 14 single axle PJ trailer. It appears to me to be a well built trailer.

My concern is how the safety chains attach to the trailer frame. (See attachment). What they did was insert the chain link through a slot in 5/16 x 2" strap, and held it in place with a lynch pin.

I have no idea how strong these pins are, but it sure looks like a weak spot to me. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Your thoughts please?

Thanks!
Ron

Attachments

• 416837-chain attach.jpg
    416837-chain attach.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,111
   / Trailer Safety Chain concern #2  
I'm not sure of laws or legal requirements however, on my trailer, the chains are bolted through the six inch channel frame.

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #3  
My chains are bolted/welded to the trailor frame. The first link on the chain is bolted through, AND welded. If my tractor was being hauled on that trailor, I would change that setup. I can't imagine it taking more than like 30 mins to make the change. Just my opinion. Im not real crazy about that lynch pin setup.
-Brad

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #4  
My 6 x 12 tandam axle utility trailer had the chains welded in place.

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #5  
I would say for piece of mind I would change it. If something happen and your trailer would break lose and someone got hurt. Most of us would not be able to live with this if we could of change it before hand. Sam

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #6  
I would change it. I would only costs a couple dollars to bolt the chains on, but the peace of mind it would give is priceless. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern
Only reason I figure they did this was if you needed to shorten the chain lengths some (like if you had different tow vehicles).

I think for peace of mind, I'll replace the pins with Grade 8 bolts, especially if I take the unit on the highway........

Thks for the inputs.
Ron

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #8  
That's a neat system in that it allows one to change the chain length, which isn't a big deal if the same tow vehicle is used.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with that setup. I don't see how the pin could come undone if force was applied, so it would have to break. Since I use them all the time on my tractor to keep important things attached (and who doesn't) it seems to me at least that the setup is fine. In fact, I wish my trailer had that system.

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #9  
I agree with most posters, probably would work fine, but why take the chance. If you are concerned about adjusting the chain length, bolt or weld on chains that are long enough for you longest application, when you need them shorter, wire tie a loop in them at the appropriate length. Works like a charm, I have three different trailers that are towed with two different vehicles, and thats how I do it.

Just my 2 cents,

Matt

/ Trailer Safety Chain concern #10  
It looks like a well thought out and well engineered system for attaching chains to the trailer. I wouldn't change it.

If your trailer comes loose, the forces will be horizontal against the cross member and not vertical against the pins. And I'll bet those pins are at least as strong as the pins used to put replacement chain hooks on the ends of chain.

And there are two of them to hold. I wouldn't change a thing.