Trailer Security

/ Trailer Security #11  
Most times my trailer, 20 ft lowboy with cargo box, is parked in the driveway beside the house.This is a highly visible area. Usually the truck and camper are hooked up to it or sitting in front of it or else some other vehicle is parked in front of it. It's a small town and people close by. Out at the farm I'm always about but I do lower the front onto blocks and remove the jack. If I leave for an extended time the wheels would be removed but I would never consider leaving it out at the farm unless I was there.

Egon

/ Trailer Security #12  
One other thing the trailer dealer said to do. Take an old ball and cut the stem off of it. Put it inside the hitch and lock it. This at least makes it more difficult to tow.

/ Trailer Security #13  
That's the same principle as the locks I use- cover the coupler opening. That seems to make as much sense as anything. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Security #14  
Hardened chains? Hooking them down... Hard chains are difficult to cut.. but a small set of gas bottles takes care of that too.

Soundguy

/ Trailer Security #15  
I've also heard that cables are harder to cut than chains when using bolt cutters, however, torches don't care. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Security #16  
Sadly, I have to leave mine out at my property whenever I'm not using them. I really have no where else to leave them that wouldn't be terribly inconvenient or expensive (or both). One thing I did recently which I wish I could turn back the clock and undo was clear out one line of weeds and scrub brush near the barn. While the property looks far nicer with that gone, the trade off is that now there is a very clear sight line from the road back to my trailers (and dump trucks, pick up, SUV and even a couple cars), I was even considering putting up a gate across the drive at the road. While I know it would only be a small deterrent at best, I thoughtt it might stop the casual "shopper" from wandering on back there.

If I put up something very basic I'd have to stop and unchain it every time I go there. If I put up something like a Texas bump gate I could have a gate that was at least closed all the time. Ideally, something with remote controlled opening and lock would be best. The problem with that (aside from the price) is that my gate would be almost 1/4 mile from the nearest electricity unless I could get the utility co. to provide another drop just for my gate. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Trailer Security
Leo,

You know, you reminded me of some of the contractor equipment I've seen sitting out overnight. What I'm thinking of is where a tractor drives up nose to nose with a trailer, then sets the loader bucket on the trailer bed. My tractor has to sit outside anyway...may as well do some good. It's not a big tractor, but enough to slow down a theft (I think). I don't think I will regularly park my tractor there, as I have another spot a little more out of the way, but if we are gone for a day or two, it might help deter would-be trouble makers.

Also, maybe for a trip away from home, Egon's suggestion of taking off wheels would be good, too. Positioning the tractor and taking off wheels are both cheap and probably effective ways to make a thief really work to successfully ply his trade.

OkieG

/ Trailer Security #18  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=200007624&categoryId=0> 12V electric gate opener </A> that could be converted to solar. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Trailer Security #19  
I can't believe it took this long for somebody to suggest this!! That is how I have always locked up bumper pull trailers.

I never have locked up my gooseneck, they need a "big" horse to pull it!!

RedDog

/ Trailer Security #20  
Locks keep an honest man honest. If someone wants your stuff and they are dishonest they are going to take it. Parking your tractor infront of the trailer with the loader bucket down on the trailer is a good idea-untill they take your tractor too!