Trailer size for MF-1533?

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #1  

MrSteve

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2025R
Hello everyone. I have looked all of the forums to get a thought of what size trailer I would need to SAFELY haul my MF-1533 and just can’t find anything to help me.

I don’t have the tractor YET, but we are a week or so off STILL. Anyhow here is the problem. I have a wife that is the money maker (I’m a stay at home dad) and she is the one YOU ALL will have to help me convince on a NEW trailer. She is going to put me to work Brush Hogging land that is a why a trailer is needed.

Below is the “ammo” we need to shoot at her…

WE have a 16’x7’ trailer with 3500lbs duel axles, BUT no brakes on the axles. The ramp is nothing but the 4’ high drop type with steel mesh (would NEVER hold the weight of the tractor).

Here is the things she KNOWS we have to complete on the trailer to move the tractor (just to fix it up)
1… 4 new tires (tires are 15").
2… Complete new floor, it’s broke and old (the floor is set up right now with 2x6 pressure treated pine)
3… 1 New brake axle or brake kit. (she thanks this isn’t needed, but I refuse to tow anything with great weight without brakes)
4… We need someone to build us ramps to get rid of the drop gate.

My thought on cost to do everything above is $800+

Well that’s it, that is the ammo.

Here is what I think we need to tow this tractor with.

My guess of the tractor weight… Shipping weight of the tractor is around 2900lbs, it will have a FEL so I will guess (have no clue) 1000lbs, brush hog of 650lbs and filled rear tires (no clue of weight). So we are looking at around 5000lbs PLEASE, if I am to high or low with that number let me know. PLEASE note... I am adding the FEL with the cutter just encase I need to take both to a job.

I am thinking of a 18'x7' car hauler type trailer with a “beaver tail”, ramps, 5000lb axles and one axle with brakes... Cost $2500

SO... Repair old trailer is $800 (or more) or forget about fixing the trailer and sell it for around $600, trailer still would be fine for someone to haul lawn mowers and so on. That gives me a total savings of $1400. NOW the new trailer is only $1,100 because of my $1400 in savings from NOT fixing and selling the old one. We know the NEW trailer will haul the tractor with no fear of over weight. SO your thoughts please.

LOL, you thought you would have nothing to read today.

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyhow here is the problem. I have a wife that is the money maker (I’m a stay at home dad) and she is the one YOU ALL will have to help me convince on a NEW trailer )</font>

Don't feel bad... even for those of us that are the workers.. the wife is still usually the 'CFO" ( chief financial officer ).. or 'The treasurer' as I like to refer to mine.

18' beaver tale.. or not.. and heavy angle iron ramps sound good. I'd get that new one and sell the other...

3500# axles will probably cover that.. deffinately at least 1 brake axle.

Now.. does your tow vehicle have a brake controller? Can it be easilly retrofit? ( Most late 90's GM/FORD/DODGE trucks that had a 'tow package' or were prewired had an option plug under the dash, and a fuse/circuit braker holder for the power line. The option plug was to specifically plug in a brake controller. These run from about 30$ for the 'cheap but work, no frills '.. to the 100+$ with diagnostics.. better controls.. etc. Your choice. I personally like one called an activator II.. has push button overide.. adjustable/dial in load setting, and 'brake speed engage control'... just under a hundred bucks.

You will also need a class3 hitch on the truck... That means.. you really want a 6cyl plus, and a 1/2 ton truck or better.

Yes.. a ranger/chevy s-10 sized truck with a 6cyl, class3 hitch and helper springs or spring stiffeners -can- do it.. but you nor the truck will like it.. and it is easy to tow more than you can control or stop with that small tow vehicle.

I towed my tractor 1 time with my ranger.. then pulled my 2 horse trailer 1 time with my ranger.. then traded it at 1 year old and got a full size dodge truck.... much better feel.

Soundguy

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #3  
You want brakes on both axles for sure, 5000 lb axles minimum, go bigger if you can. You can't have too much trailer or too much truck. Pulling isn't the problem, stopping all that weight is what will get you in trouble.

/ Trailer size for MF-1533?
Thanks for the reply... Tow vehicle not a problem. 1996 Chevy 4x4 PU 350cu with 3.73 rears (I think 3.73s) with all the goodies to tow (hitch, wiring and so on, but yes need the break controller).

ANYTHING that the truck could need I will have no problem with that.

<font color="blue">( 3500# axles will probably cover that.. deffinately at least 1 brake axle. ) </font>

Are you saying if I had to, I COULD use this trailer I have now, with adding the breaks, ramps and other repairs?

Posting the same time you were RedRocker... Thanks for the input. That would keep the old trailer out of the picture. I am not going to put breaks on all 4, not on this trailer... Waist of money IMO.

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #5  
I'm in the same boat, 16' trailer with 3500 axles and brakes on one axle. I want to go to a 20 or 22' so I can haul my quad too. I have to haul all my stuff 75 miles to my place, so I need a little more trailer. My 5' bush hog hangs off quite a bit on the 16 foot, I'd consider 20' if I were you, a little more leeway on balance.

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You want brakes on both axles for sure, 5000 lb axles minimum, go bigger if you can )</font>

The brakes are a good idea. However many states do not require brakes on both axles... Fl doesn't. Still doesn't hurt any.

As for 5000# axles.. or 'bigger'. IMHO.. that's a waste of money and overkill for a guy that is looking at 5000# max load on a trailer that will GVW out at 7000... Heck.. why not get a 35 ton drop deck lowboy ? right? I mean.. it's not our money.. right? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Soundguy

/ Trailer size for MF-1533?
I see your point... I guess the main reason "I" said 5000lb axis is because "most" 18' car haulers have 5000lb axis, with at least one axle having breaks. I would think bigger then 5000lbs, you would have to go to a duel wheel setup anyhow... Just like you said, it would be Lowboy time. LOL then I would need a Medium Duty Truck to tow the thing.

I really don't think I would go any bigger then the 18' car hauler, when it comes to trailers I do believe there is a such thing as to much trailer for what you will tow with it. Bigger the trailer the more weight the trailer will have with NOTHING on it. WHY tow around so much trailer (with nothing on it) if you know you will never need it.

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #8  
Those 18' car haulers with 5k axles must be 10kgvw and not 7k. Down here you see both 16' and 18' beaver tale 7kw and 18' and up 10kw and 12kw units.. Brakes are a must.. If I had a 10kw trailer and load to match.. I'd want 2 brake axles... deffinately.

I try no to excessively spend others money unless it is necescary /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Looking at the post here.. the average 'canned' response to 'I need a tractor' yeilds about a 20kw and up list of 'needed' items.. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'm from the old tractor/ antique type groups.. where a new tractor is 30 years old.. and it and the mower and the trailer cost about 6k$ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Soundguy

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #9  
I guess it would depend on what the trailer weighs, somewhere between 2500 and 3000 pounds maybe. You're right, 5K axles are plenty, but law or no law brakes on both is a no brainer, especially if you're pulling with a smaller truck.

/ Trailer size for MF-1533? #10  
I got rid of my small tow vehicle for the brake reason.. just didn't have enough umph to stop the trailer. For my 1700# 16' trailer.. 1 brake axle is plenty.. If I had a 10k gvw trailer.. I'd want 2 brake axles for sure... Heck.. 2 on my trailer would have been nice.. just wasn't in the cards when I got mine.

Soundguy