Trailer Towing

/ Trailer Towing #1  

dirtbone

Tractor
mahindra 28XL
Can I tow my 16ft. 1500lb.
trailer around the yard with a Mahindra 28XL? Will that over tax it? Its not HST.

My path is all moderate grade uphill.

Last edited:
   / Trailer Towing #2  
Should be a piece of cake. Make sure you're in a low gear until you get the feel of it. If any significant downhills, use 4WD for better braking control.

I pull my 7x16 landscape trailer, weighing 1600+ lbs, with my Kubota B2920. Normally put the HST in "M" gear. It pulls just fine.

/ Trailer Towing #3  
You should have no problems pulling it, the issue of stopping may be something to think about.
I load up my single axle 8 ft trailer with rocks and dirt and pull it with my little TG1860 garden tractor no prob...
just have to plan the stops when I get going too fast... I have jack-knifed it a few times on wet grass.

Pete

/ Trailer Towing #4  
I tow my 8.5 x 20' double axle tilt bed car trailer (about 2300 lb.) around with my Mahindra 2615 HST. Where I park the trailer is in a pretty tight spot not easily maneuvered with the truck so I usually drop the trailer in the driveway and park it with the tractor. My 2615 has a 3pt. lift of 2205 lb. You should have no problem with a 28XL.

/ Trailer Towing #5  
I tow my 7x16 landscape trailer (1400lb) with ease with my Max 28. Specs say can lift around 2100lbs. Just yesterday I used chains and lifted one whole side of it up with the fel so i could paint the underside of the diamond plate i just replaced the floor with. I continue to marvel at how strong these are.

/ Trailer Towing #6  
28HP tractor should be perfectly fine with pulling a trailer.

image from... Double HH Quality Products - Don't Compromise... Demand Double HH
24_3PointHitchTractorGraphi.jpg

you may want to get some "stay straps" to keep 3pt hitch. from raising suddenly on you. if you go with a 3pt hitch ball/hitch. the stay straps, keeps the 3pt hitch from lifting up. when you over load rear end of trailer. and not have enough front weight on trailer. stay straps i would highly encourage if you ever need to drive down hill with trailer behind you. and want to stop, and keep trailer from jumping what it seems like into your back as 3pt hitch moves upwards.

if your tractor has a "swinging draw bar", you might be able to just get a ball that fits into the swinging draw bar and be ok. and not need stay straps.

personal choice is swinging draw bar. for trailer pulling on hills. it is a low connection point on rear of tractor. and results in less "teeter totter" effect. if you do not balance out weight as you load/unload the trailer with stuff.

though many folks use a 3pt hitch ball/hitch implement. so they can more easily connect a trailer to move it / park it. and some times partially lift front of trailer up. to dump contents off of trailer easier. though normally for me, it would be more hassle than anything for me.

if you do not have a FEL (front end loader), you might consider some sort of front weight on tractor. if you will be moving heavy objects on trailer. to reduce chance of front tires of tractor coming off the ground err front getting light.

/ Trailer Towing #7  
I u-bolted a hitch and ball on the top of the back of my gannon (drag box) and I pull my trailer around the yard with my 2015. The trailer weighs about 2500 lbs (tongue weight is only about 350 lbs of course) it is a double axle and the trailer is 7x15 and has a 3/16" thick piece of diamond steel plate welded to the bottom. You should be good !

/ Trailer Towing #8  
Best bet is to check your manual. My Kubota L3700 manual puts a trailer limit at 2200lbs, but I am pretty sure I pushed a trailer with the fel that weighed a bit more than that for a few hundred feet before I bothered to look it up. :eek: