Trailer weight/advice needed

/ Trailer weight/advice needed #1  

deerefan

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 8N, 2005 JD 5103
We may have the opportunity to use the trailer in the attached picture- 3 horse with living quarters. We will pull it with our 2015 Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas and 4.11 gear. I attached a picture of the trailer, trailer tag and truck. Not sure what it weighs, hopefully one of you know. Too much for the truck?
IMG_4249.JPG
IMG_0798.JPG
IMG_4251.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 98
   / Trailer weight/advice needed #2  
What’s the payload of your truck? What is the rear axle rating of your truck? There shoukd be two sticker on the door frame of your truck. Post a pic of both stickers. Your probably talking a pin weight of 2500 pounds or more. My guess is yes, too much trailer.

/ Trailer weight/advice needed #3  
Can you do it , yes. Legally ? Maybe not. Depends on the trucks weight ratings. It’s a big equine area by me and people pull gooseneck horse trailers with 3/4 tons all the time. The big thing is though combined weights. Michigan anything over 26001 pounds you need a cdl.

/ Trailer weight/advice needed
What’s the payload of your truck? What is the rear axle rating of your truck? There shoukd be two sticker on the door frame of your truck. Post a pic of both stickers. Your probably talking a pin weight of 2500 pounds or more. My guess is yes, too much trailer.

I will get it shortly and post it

Can you do it , yes. Legally ? Maybe not. Depends on the trucks weight ratings. It’s a big equine area by me and people pull gooseneck horse trailers with 3/4 tons all the time. The big thing is though combined weights. Michigan anything over 26001 pounds you need a cdl.[

Shouldn’t be near that….hopefully

/ Trailer weight/advice needed #6  
PULLING it empty in Louisiana on paved road should be no problem. But stopping it may be a problem. And the more weight you add the worse it gets.
The GVWR is a little over most stated capacities for your truck.

IMG_1050.JPG

Here is a photo of the sticker

Here is the other one
IMG_1053.JPG

/ Trailer weight/advice needed #9  
From the picture it looks like your truck is a short bed truck. Is there room for the trailer to swing as you make a turn? The 6.0 and 4.11 gears will pull the trailer with no problem. I have a 2005 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 and used it to pull a 28 foot 14,000 pound gooseneck over 300,000 miles. My 3500 GMC dually pulls it much better then 6.0.

I agree that you need to check the tongue weight. The trailer has 2 7200 pound axles so you should be well under 26,001.

The weight of the truck is 9500 plus the trailer's 14400 equals 23,900 pounds is well under the 26,001 that would require a CDL.

/ Trailer weight/advice needed #10  
You have a payload of a little over 3000 pounds. Assume a pin weight of 2500 pounds that leaves room for 500 pounds in the truck, that includes driver too. It should be doable but on the edge. I’m not sure what you tow rating is, you’ll have to look that up.

I’d also guess your axle rating is OK too. You’d have to weigh the axles with the trailer loaded up, which of course you can’t do unless you buy it.