Trailer Width

/ Trailer Width #42  
Load Trail has telescoping hoist on 16 footer
I am experiencing ZERO availability on deck over dumps (96 inch)
Theres like 4 of them in the country that come close to suiting my needs.
I think Im going to order a Load Trail.

Best Choice Trailers in PA has deckover dumps. Gooseneck and bumper pull. At least one has undermount 90" ramps. Some have fold down sides. Sure-Trac makes a high quality trailer, I purchased my 14' 14k lb fendered Sure-Trac Dump and just ordered a custom 18' utility from them. They also carry Load Trail, though I've never owned one.

All Inventory | Best Choice Trailers & RVs | Locations in Pittsburgh & Harrisburg Area

Last edited:
   / Trailer Width #43  
Best Choice Trailers in PA has deckover dumps. Gooseneck and bumper pull. At least one has undermount 90" ramps. Some have fold down sides. Sure-Trac makes a high quality trailer, I purchased my 14' 14k lb fendered Sure-Trac Dump and just ordered a custom 18' utility from them. They also carry Load Trail, though I've never owned one.

All Inventory | Best Choice Trailers & RVs | Locations in Pittsburgh & Harrisburg Area

They only have one Sure Trac 8 foot wide gooseneck trailer in stock. The rest are 7 wide.
And its only 14 long. I need 16.
Spoke with them yesterday. Contemplating ordering one. Looks like Load Trail will be only one of a few remaining trailers to offer (3) 8K axles.

/ Trailer Width #44  
That's where they really shine. They do need to sit level but any trailer needs to be level. Go through a six inch by six inch washout that crosses the road at an angle....your truck will drop each wheel as you cross, that's four times you rock the boat. The trailer doesn't even know it is there, especially with a slight spread axle like my PJ. With standard springs and equalizer, the trailer can set up a cycle of bucking on certain road/load conditions that will drive you crazy. They really need shocks at all four points.

One can argue the springs will allow more give and spread the axle weight more evenly. Or tow the trailer unlevel with less negative disturbance to the axles. Keep in mind there is only about 2-3" of clearance between the axle u-bolts and the frame. When they hit (happens all the time) it is steel on steel, no give, that's what bends/breaks axles.

My Lamar and PJ dumps have the same size bed, the Lamar has 8k spring axles, the PJ 10k torsion axles, night and day towing them. If I have a choice give me torsion.

This is what I am talking about.....

0914201403.jpg

Not to mention the flimsy spring eye bushings that wear out constantly. Dexter warranty limits their spring axles to 5 years, 10 years on torsion axles.

0914201351.jpg

/ Trailer Width #45  
This is what I am talking about.....

View attachment 669701

Not to mention the flimsy spring eye bushings that wear out constantly. Dexter warranty limits their spring axles to 5 years, 10 years on torsion axles.

View attachment 669702

Pretty small part to wear out. Screw up a torsion axle on rough ground and its new axle time. Warranty might not cover rough use.

/ Trailer Width #46  
Pretty small part to wear out. Screw up a torsion axle on rough ground and its new axle time. Warranty might not cover rough use.

Yes and no. The frame damage is not small, it's hard on axles and it's only 2.5 years old. Any suspension wear is hard on tires. Any serious incident that will screw up a torsion axle will screw up a spring axle too. And no, I don't expect warranty on something I do. My point was there must be a reason for double the warranty. I noticed Lippert went "one up" on Dexter and warranty their spring axles for 6 years and the torsion for 11 years, Lol