Trailer Width

/ Trailer Width #21  
I would not consider tandem torsion axles on a trailer that spends any significant amount of time on uneven areas.

/ Trailer Width #22  
Good point on the D rings, I had not even considered that.

The tail gate/ door design is important to me and PJ and Maxxd have one that I like with the way they are held open. The hoist is very important. I like the telescoping best but does not seem to be available in 16' trailers. A single cylinder scissors lift is an acceptable 2nd choice. I will not get a dual cylinder lift. I've seen them get out of sync with uneven loading (not common but a pain to deal with). I'll take another look at the torsion axles, it's been awhile since I last looked at them. I also want an extra long tarp since some stuff will be light and bulky and I'll use side extensions.

I have another thread on dealer selection and all dealers I've talked to so far regardless of brand are quoting about 3 months out for orders and all the trailers they have coming in, in the next month or 2 have already been sold.

Load Trail has telescoping hoist on 16 footer
I am experiencing ZERO availability on deck over dumps (96 inch)
Theres like 4 of them in the country that come close to suiting my needs.
I think Im going to order a Load Trail.

/ Trailer Width #23  
Good point on the D rings, I had not even considered that.

The tail gate/ door design is important to me and PJ and Maxxd have one that I like with the way they are held open. The hoist is very important. I like the telescoping best but does not seem to be available in 16' trailers. A single cylinder scissors lift is an acceptable 2nd choice. I will not get a dual cylinder lift. I've seen them get out of sync with uneven loading (not common but a pain to deal with). I'll take another look at the torsion axles, it's been awhile since I last looked at them. I also want an extra long tarp since some stuff will be light and bulky and I'll use side extensions.

I have another thread on dealer selection and all dealers I've talked to so far regardless of brand are quoting about 3 months out for orders and all the trailers they have coming in, in the next month or 2 have already been sold.

Duel cylinders can’t get out of sync unless they have flow dividers which they probably don’t. The only way for that to happen is for the frame to be bent. Plenty of equipment has duel cylinder lift and it works fine. Loaders, excavators, rollbacks flatbed dumps all usually have duel cylinders. My dump truck has a telescoping cylinder along with most other dump trucks but it’s got a cutout in the bed to accommodate it. I’d much rather have a hoist and have my bed straight against the front. It makes loading logs a pain and dirt sticks in the corners worse.

/ Trailer Width #24  
Guy that owns a trailer super store in my state tells me telescoping will probably be the industry standard in 5 years.

/ Trailer Width #25  
By telescoping you mean an extending cylinder like this and not a hoist like this trailer right? They’ve both been around since about the invention of hydraulics so I don’t see scrapping either one in the next 5 years. Honestly I think the hoist is the better way because it leaves the inside of the bed unobstructed and works in flat beds.

Attachments

• IMG_9032.JPG
    IMG_9032.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_9033.JPG
    IMG_9033.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 102
   / Trailer Width #26  
Most dump trailers have the cylinder mounted outside the bed, not like a dump truck. They are super powerful but really slow, especially the first stage since it is the biggest, as the stages go smaller it goes faster. It is powerful because at the most it lifts half the load, the others lift most if not all the load depending on where the builder installs the hoist. Also, the scissors hoist are not all created equal, you have to watch out for that. Some only have a channel iron for the bottom joint, rather than a square tube, some are massive like my Lamar.

Attachments

• Trailer hoist brochure front2.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 7107164_xl1.jpg
    7107164_xl1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 91
  • thumbnail.png
    thumbnail.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
   / Trailer Width #27  
Heres a load trail telescoping hoist

Attachments

• 9DA6BA9C-82F9-473A-8289-9702321AC03E.png
    9DA6BA9C-82F9-473A-8289-9702321AC03E.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 98
   / Trailer Width #28  
Piss poor design with the cylinder extending above the top of the front panel.
Telescoping cylinders will not take over the industry that way.

/ Trailer Width #29  
Piss poor design with the cylinder extending above the top of the front panel.
Telescoping cylinders will not take over the industry that way.

That’s what I thought. They’ll get bent. My 1990 truck has a telescoping cylinder and I’m sure they existed before that. I’ve got a forklift from the 50s with one on it. They’re nothing new.

/ Trailer Width #30  
Be sure you have included any bagging of the rear tires in the width of your machine.