Trailer

/ Trailer #1  

volunteer

Bronze Member
Tractor
1991 Ford New Holland 3930
Trying to make sense of trailers before I go out and begin looking. Just bought New Holland 3930 w/o FEL. Looks like adding one would add approximately 1,500 lbs.

What type of trailer should I be looking for? Any advice greatly appreciated.

INFO:

I own a 2000 2500HD Chevy Silverado 2WD with Tow Package.

Engine & Transmission:

Engine: 8 cylinder, gas, 6.0L
Transmission: Auto, 4-speed
Rear axle 3.73 ratio
Limited slip

++++++++++++++++++++

Inside Door Info:

GVWR: 8600 lbs
GAWR FRT: 4100 lbs
GAWR RR: 6000 lbs

+++++++++++++++++++++

Tires:

Tires: LT 245 75R 16

+++++++++++++++++++++

Truck & Passenger Weight:

Truck: 6040 lbs (Highway truck scales)
Passenger: 250 lbs

+++++++++++++++++++++

Tractor:

Ford 3930 4x4: 5,160 lbs (non 4x4 weight per Tractordata.com), guessing approx 500 additional lbs or 5,700 lbs
No FEL as of now - would add approx 1,500 lbs

/ Trailer #2  
I've got a 3910 2wd with a loader that weighs approx 6800 lbs. The 3930 is the newer model of the 3910 so the loader off of mine should fit yours and be close to the same weight, 1500 lbs may be a bit of a light guess but not too far off at least.
If I was going to get a trailer for mine I'd get a minimum 12000 lbs CVWR on the trailer and electric brakes on both axles not just one, either gooseneck or bumper pull. Figure by the time you have a tailer long enough for the tractor and loader you're looking at 20', if you figure 3500lbs for the trailer weight on a 12k trailer that leaves you with 8500 lbs cargo weight, take off roughly 7k for the tractor and loader and you have 1500 lbs left over for equipment for the rear end of the tractor. Like I said, minimum 12k trailer.

/ Trailer #3  
I towed a JD 5220 with FEL on a 5T 18ft equip type trailer without any problems. But make sure if you get an equipment type trailor your wheels can get by the fenders ... not a big problem unless you "widen" your track on the tractor quite a bit. The equipment trailer had electric brakes and good tiedowns. If I had it to do over I would consider a 20ft. The weigh of the things you will be hauling seems to creep up over time! So ...

/ Trailer #4  
You should be able to find one more spec, the GCWR for your truck. Either in the owners manual or a specific towing manual. As long as you stay below each of the ratings (Combined, each axle and total truck), you'll be fine. A gooseneck will load the truck differently than a bumper pull. Your trailer and load weights may push you to the gooseneck as it will allow for more.

/ Trailer
Chevy owners manual does not quote GCVW. Any idea where I could locate info. Tried Silverado website, no luck. Could anyone tell me how to calculate weights to determine. Read somewhere about tongue weight of 10-15%. I really do not understand. Computers, yes; tractors and trailers, new to me. Thanks. By the way, on the way to get my new 1992 Ford 3930 offloaded.

/ Trailer #6  
There may be a seperate towing manual, try the dealer if you can't find it.

Yes, for a bumper pull you'll want 10-15% of the total trailer load on the tongue. If your loaded trailer weighs 5000 pounds, you'll want 500 on the tongue. You can then use that number to see if the truck loading stays within spec. Goosenecks can handle a lot more "tongue" load as the load is carried over the axle of the truck.

/ Trailer #7  
Your owners manual should have a maximum trailer weight tow rating in it. I know the 02 and up manuals do. In any case your 00 3/4T should easily be able to haul at least 8500# since that is about what a 1/2T can haul.
I'd suggest at least a 20' 10-12K trailer with brakes on both axles since you'll be hauling about 7200# plus attachments.

/ Trailer
Thanks for recommendations/info. Today I go see if I can locate good used trailer.

/ Trailer #9  
Go with George, He pointed you in the right direction. Make sure you have a good brake controller. The Prodigy by Tekonsha is second to none in my book. You have plenty of pickup to tow a properly loaded 10-12K rated trailer.:)

/ Trailer
rback33 said:
Go with George, He pointed you in the right direction. Make sure you have a good brake controller. The Prodigy by Tekonsha is second to none in my book. You have plenty of pickup to tow a properly loaded 10-12K rated trailer.:)

Will do and appreciate the references.