Trailers, what a difference a year makes.

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Late January 2021 I went trailer shopping. Neither of the two trailer dealers in town had anything near a 10k equipment trailer like I wanted, nor when anything would come in. I ended up buying a Gatormade, the factory being about an hour away. (The trailer has been okay except for some minor paint peeling which I expected)

Fast forward to this year. Both my local dealers have plenty of stock. I am seeing stacks of maybe six trailers come in and sit for awhile until unloaded. Since I am not in the market, I am not following prices. I would expect that they have gone up in a year but with that much stock on hand, their should be some negotiating room?

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #2  
I am not seeing much of anything that hasn't gone up.

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #3  
Two years ago I was looking at basic 7K car trailers, and could find them for around $2800. Now that brand (Sure-Trac)* is nowhere to be found, and the same basic trailer is $3985.

*One dealer in this state.

Last edited:
   / Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #4  
Maybe this will make my 10 ft. tandom worth more .

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #5  
Trailers have pretty much doubled around here, I saw a wrecked 7x14 cargo trailer sell for $7000 the other day. Wheel and hub ripped off with one axle chained up. Nuts.

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #6  
Trailers have pretty much doubled around here, I saw a wrecked 7x14 cargo trailer sell for $7000 the other day. Wheel and hub ripped off with one axle chained up. Nuts.
I bought a 10k car hauler in Mount Vernon 4 years ago for $3500 out the gate. I saw the exact trailer listed in Olympia for 6300 on the lot. Has steel gone up that much?

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #7  
I bought a 10k car hauler in Mount Vernon 4 years ago for $3500 out the gate. I saw the exact trailer listed in Olympia for 6300 on the lot. Has steel gone up that much?
Like most things, more demand than supply is the bigger culprit. Fear (panic) buying drove prices up, once one guy gets a thousand more, everybody else decides to sell for a thousand more. People really are their own worst enemy. Look at some of the bigger auction places to see just how crazy the prices have gotten because people just had to have it. MSRP on a Kubota L47 is up to 64K (with 3rd func and hyd thumb), pretty sure in 2020 it was ~ 50K

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #8  
Never mind, I misread the original post.

Last edited:
   / Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #9  
I wish prices would come back to realistic.

Last year around March 2021 I inquired on having a trailer built. 22+2 gooseneck low profile with the deck between the fenders. Nothing fancy.....just like any other 14k 24' bumper pull equipment trailer....only with a GN instead. Was quoted 7300 but a 6 month lead time so I didnt order. Thought I'd keep looking used. Called 5 months later cause was tired of looking and prices went to $8800 subject to go up another 5% before the 6-month lead time elapsed...so ~$9300. So I passed again.

Called them just a few months ago to see if prices have came down any. I dont track steel prices but do alot of construction stuff so follow lumber prices and seen they were down quite a bit (a few months ago). Nope.....still at $9300.

Dad bought a bumper pull equipment trailer here locally 3-4 years ago by a fairly well known local retailer who sells AMO. trailers. Back then ~2018ish (pre-covid)....a 20'/14k was~$3600. Today that price is north of $6k for the same trailer. And I constantly see people selling thier 5-6 year old trailers for $5000-$6000. Trailers that they paid $3500 for when new.

I hate this new market

/ Trailers, what a difference a year makes. #10  
Supply and demand, plus lots of crazy stupid people, that gotta have, whatever pops into their head, that particular day, right now, regardless of the cost. Even the vehicle manufacturers are warning their own dealers that stupid mark-ups will not be tolerated, and the dealerships doing that will be punished. Just imagine if buyers got their brains back, and refused to buy overpriced items for even a one month time frame. Won,t happen, because there is always someone out there, that has to have it, right now, regardless of cost.