Trans fluid in my wod splitter

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #11  
It's just a splitter guys. Calm down. It's about simple as it can get. Just a pump, a valve and a cylinder...

Tractor are more sensitive just because the wet brakes, PTO clutch pack and HST if it has one.

No need to scare the OP as it will work just fine as long as it get filtered right.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #12  
as long as it get filtered right.

That is the key. Even a simple single spool valve has very small clearances. A speck of sand can cause aggravation down the road!

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #13  
Dex3 in my 40yo splitter. Changed once

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #14  
ATF is 10w. Hydraulic fluid is 20w. (by engine specs; gear oils go by rating at 40 C, not 100 C viscosities) Other difference is probably additives. ATF typically has some seal swell additive. Not sure what hydraulic fluid has. Both of them are very likely shy of additives, especially if synthetic except for maybe that seal swell stuff. If dino, they probably have a very small amount of pour depressant in them.

Ralph

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #15  
mine has never had a filter, and has never failed to work, ive been using it for 30 years and it has the original pump i have replaced the loader valve because the reverse detent wore out but it still worked just sucked to have to hold it in reverse. ive split well over a thousand cords with it and have lent it out to friends just finished spliting 4 cords the other day.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #16  
If it was me, I would go ahead and use it. People swap between ATF and Hydraulic fluid quite a bit.

But if you do not want to waste it, you can use it as chainsaw bar and chain oil. If you do not want to use it full strength, just mix it with virgin bar and chain oil, like 50/50 until its gone. Bars and chains are consumables anyway.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #17  
LOOOOOONG ago I had a Didier splitter. It recommended 30 weight, non-detergent motor oil. That's what I always used. This was back in the early '80's.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #18  
Bar and chain oil is 30w, but hydraulic oil would be great for it in the winter.

Bet hydraulic oil and bar/chain oil aren't much more than 250N/325N and 600N off the pipestill after solvent extraction and dewaxing. Maybe just a tad of pour depressant because those were typically 15 F pour. ATF has supposedly some seal swell additive. It's like very highly treated 100N. Nowadays, they're likely from hydrotreated operations in place of solvent extraction. Some may be pure synthetic, not likely for bar and chain oil.

Ralph

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #19  
5 gallons of cheap hydraulic fluid is a little less than $40.

/ Trans fluid in my wod splitter #20  
5 gallons of cheap hydraulic fluid is a little less than $40.

Here cheap hydraulic oil in a 5 gallon pail is $24 and less than that if it is on sale.

I thought about running ATF in my log trailer just because in the winter it makes the loader valve bank kind of sluggish.