Oil & Fuel Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am gonna go ahead and change it. Kubota filters all around, maybe Rotella 10w-30 motor oil, probably SUDT or SUDT II just because I don't have time to sort thru the thousands of types of hydraulic oil that may or may not meet the specs and then try to source it.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #12  
When I went to Kubota to get oil for 50 hr change, they were out of kubota product and happily sold me some Chevron hyraulic oil of the same specs. Will shop at co-op for next change.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #13  
   / Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #14  
As I bring this tale to an end I say make up a number that lets you sleep well and if you can afford it, change it at exactly that number or maybe 30 hours before but NEVER go over your MADE UP NUMBER. iF YOU DO.........YOUR MACHINE IS GOING TO FIRST SEIZE UP AND THEN IT WILL EXPLODE LIKE SO MANY HAVE DONE IN THE PAST 15 YEARS. Change it I say, change it!!!! Or not and call for an appointment.:D

Excellent post John, used a little Motor Honey" and STP in my time too. Growing up in a family of mechanics by necessity and avocation as we had old cars, trucks and tractors, I have looked at the innards of more vehicles than you can imagine.

My dad owned one new tractor a 55 Ford 600 he used to the day he died in 1993 and my brother still drives. We have two others made in the 50's a Case made in the mid 60's a Massey-Ferguson from the 80's. Hour meters don't work on any of them, so service is done by dates, my brother writes the date on the filters and changes about once a year or so; surprisingly no mechanical problems in the engines or transmissions.

I sure remember the need for regular 3000 mile oil changes. My brothers and I have tried about every type of oil imaginable with varying frequency of changes and I am finally at the point I no longer get twitchy at 3000 miles and even take it to the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation at 5000 miles:eek::eek:

We have always driven our cars/trucks for a minimum of 200,000 miles before trading them off or giving them away, so it seems we are doing OK.

Agree, pick a number or frequency with which you are comfortable and do it.

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #15  
I didn't have 85 -90ish XP gear oil in the front diff from the Dealer
( he used hyro oil .... which some do ... ) so I drained that and
put in some suitable product . If you run in 4x4 alot ( or all the time )
that gets a good workout too , but I haven't changed that again .

I REALLY like our forum for the good nature of folk and everyones
views . Some Forums can be really rude . I think tractor folk rule ! Yeah ! :thumbsup:

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #16  
There are those who still change the oil in their cars every 3000 miles.
I was one of those guys . Replaced the engine oil frequently
in the Motorhome , and when the head cracked after 9 years( I went
with a new engine ) the old engine was as worn inside as anything
I've seen . All that extra oil changing made no difference to it ... Duh ...

/ Trans/Hydraulic Oil confusion #17  
I was one of those guys . Replaced the engine oil frequently
in the Motorhome , and when the head cracked after 9 years( I went
with a new engine ) the old engine was as worn inside as anything
I've seen . All that extra oil changing made no difference to it ... Duh ...

The oil companies just LOVE those frequent oil changes and a lot of people swear by them. My father in law owned a bulk distributorship for over forty years and when I was young, I remember extolling the virtues of this or that oil and kind of feeling sorry for him when he replied "oil is oil" and he used whatever brand he carried in his fleet of trucks, cars and tractors. He was a frugal man and ran his equipment as long as he could, traded cars about every ten years. Seems he knew a little more than I originally gave him credit for.:eek: