Trans leaking 254 Foton

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #11  
greg, When I get ready to split the tractor, we'll have the guest house ready.
Excellent. I've done this more than once, just not on a FT254. But it's sorta like riding a bike. Just bought a new Porsche, and - if weather permits - I wouldn't mind a run out to Tahoe. It was one of my favorite weekend haunts when I lived in the Bay area.

//greg//

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton
greg, You're on! Maybe next spring I'll be up for it. In a short time Tahoe will be up to it's vorig in snow. We sold our porsche, a 67, after our first drive to the Bay Area with our little one in a kiddy seat, in the back. We had thoughts like: an suv could drive into the back window and hit the baby. Anyway, if you're into it then, that would be great fun.

Willl, Got your PM and the: Right Stuff, Black. Let me ask you, when it comes out of the a aerosol, is it runny? As I do the top, will it want to run down into the case.
Richard

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #13  
"Three Bond" brand is what Subaru uses to seal the two halves of the manual tranny together. It also seemed to be (can't swear to it though) what Kubota used to seal the front hub of the BX2200 4wd hub. It comes in a tube like toothpaste. I used it when I rebuilt a 5sp Subaru tranny, and it was fine to deal with.

Into other demanding jobs, still wondering about choice of sealant.

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #15  
Willl, Got your PM and the: Right Stuff, Black. Let me ask you, when it comes out of the a aerosol, is it runny? As I do the top, will it want to run down into the case.
Richard

Not a aerosol can, comes in a caulking tube and consistency is about like peanut butter. (I'll find a pic of the stuff.)

The counter guy at the auto parts store suggested it when we couldn't locate a gasket for my trucks rear end.

3DPL6_AS01.JPG

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #16  
There is always the Caterpillar "green death" but I wouldn't advise it if you intend on taking it apart again.

Bob, Is this, Green Death, somewhat like the old 1960s permetex, the dark, dark brown? Use it on Porsche and VW engine halfs.

What does caterpiller use it for, what have you used it for?

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #18  
"Three Bond" brand is what Subaru uses to seal the two halves of the manual tranny together. It also seemed to be (can't swear to it though) what Kubota used to seal the front hub of the BX2200 4wd hub. It comes in a tube like toothpaste. I used it when I rebuilt a 5sp Subaru tranny, and it was fine to deal with.

Three Bond products are hard to find sometimes but now I see some available on Amazon
Three Bond Silicone Liquid Gasket - 3.5 oz 1211AT100 : Amazon.com : Automotive

I am not sure it is better than any other product, but it is pretty impressive when you try to remove the old stuff. It stretches pretty good when you pull it, and sticks really well to the metal.

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #19  
http://www.burkinaequipements.com/fr/download_fr/Sav/pieces/PEHJ0168-01.pdf

Liquid Gasket
9U-5839 118 ml (4 fl oz)
138-8436 236 ml (8 fl oz) 185-4590 EAME
For use on 3176 engine
Permanently flexible
Seals up to .08 mm (.003 in)
Temperature resistant to 149°C (300°F)
Will not cause corrosion on aluminum parts
Contains acetone (highly flammable);
does not contain chlorine

/ Trans leaking 254 Foton #20  
I was working on a transmission for a ZTR a few years ago and it used gasket in a can from the factory. I believe it was a Cub Cadet. Anyway, I got some stuff that was in a can much like Cheese Whiz. It worked great. I think it was Permatex. I got it at the lawn mower shop but have seen it in Auto Parts stores since.

Chris