Trans/pto fluid level??

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
Do you guys have a secret to seeing the fluid level in the sight glass located on the rear of the tractor for the trans/PTO fluid level? I have tried in the shade, sun, flashlight and can't see the level. It just looks black. I have a 2001 JD 4300 HST. I want to make sure it gets its proper maintenance and do my due diligence with the fluid levels and greasing everything but can't seem to see any level. The machine operates fine so I don't think it is in need of fluid but would feel better if I could see it. Maybe a gun bore flashlight in the fill spout would help??? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #2  
Don't think it should look black. Had a tractor that used sight glass but had two. Could see when it was below the top one but above the bottom one. Have you service it and/or changed the fluid to insure it isn't black and could fill until it wasn't above the top of the sight glass so you could see where it is in the future?

/ Trans/pto fluid level??
deere5105 said:
Don't think it should look black. Had a tractor that used sight glass but had two. Could see when it was below the top one but above the bottom one. Have you service it and/or changed the fluid to insure it isn't black and could fill until it wasn't above the top of the sight glass so you could see where it is in the future?

I purchased the tractor used. I had my local JD dealer go through it and perform any needed service. I wanted them to do the first one so that any major issues would be uncovered. I can maintain it the remainder of its life but just can't seem to see the level of the fluid through the sight glass.

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #4  

I'm with Deere 5105 on this one...mine are clear, and the fluid level is very easy to see. Maybe try dropping the drain plug and letting a little out into a clean container to see if the fluid's that black color or if it's just the sight glasses?

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #5  
My 5105 has 2 sights with a white background. Lower one is "add" and the upper has a "full" line. It is easy to see the level. If yours is black, you may want to drain some fluid to see if anything changes in the sight window. Maybe the dealer added too much fluid or forgot to change it ?? Not blaming him, but just a thought if it continues to be black and does not change. A few dollars of lost fluid may be worth it for peace of mind.

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #6  
JD makes hydraulic red dye which works very well and is inexpensive. I use it in the hydro and the front axle.

Fossil Farm said:
My 5105 has 2 sights with a white background. Lower one is "add" and the upper has a "full" line. It is easy to see the level. If yours is black, you may want to drain some fluid to see if anything changes in the sight window. Maybe the dealer added too much fluid or forgot to change it ?? Not blaming him, but just a thought if it continues to be black and does not change. A few dollars of lost fluid may be worth it for peace of mind.

I will give that a try when I get up to the property and get a look at the tractor.

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #8  
The previous owner didn't happen to do some touch up painting to sell it and got some overspray on the glass to turn it black ?? Just a crazy thought since it is completely black.

Fossil Farm said:
The previous owner didn't happen to do some touch up painting to sell it and got some overspray on the glass to turn it black ?? Just a crazy thought since it is completely black.

Actually, he did paint the tractor. But I thought that I scraped off all the paint that he got on the glass. I will have to check that also when I get back.

/ Trans/pto fluid level?? #10  
All good ideas and suggestions. Will be interested to see what you find.