Transmission Fluid for standard 8 speed

/ Transmission Fluid for standard 8 speed #1  

Lyons1

Tractor
Yanmar YM2210D Grey Market
I just bought a 1988 Kioti LB1714. I am still gathering information on this so I can start using it. Transmission oil is low. I want to fill it. Standard 8 speed trans. Can't seem to discern what it takes. From what I read, I think it takes UTF although I also see 90 weight gear oil and Hydraulic fluid. Can someone set me straight. Do I fill it to the top of the fill cap? One more question, any idea where I might be able to download a service manual on line for a tractor this old. Any info would be appreciated.

/ Transmission Fluid for standard 8 speed #2  
Tractors tend to use the transmission case as a common sump which holds a dual purpose oil that is used to lube the transmission and is also used as the hydraulic fluid.

It's called trans/hydraulic fluid and the old standby is used to be John Deere's JD 303- which isn't made anymore. But there are lots and lots of comperable trans/hydraulic fluids. I tend to use J20C spec fluid or better. You can get it from everywhere from Tractor Supply to the local Tractor supply dealer.

Trans/hydraulic fluid looks a lot like thin motor oil but is different. Mobile and Shell and Chevron all make an excellent brand. Every tractor brand makes their own....but for manual transmissions I would say just buy a good name brand fluid and it will be fine.

Warning! It's costly oil! Expect to pay ten or twenty bucks a gallon and a small compact tractor will hold two to five gallons. Since it is used for mechanical transmissions - traditionally a dirty application..... and also for hydraulics - which need to be super clean - there will also be a filter that needs periodic replacement. Most are spin-on type filters that cost about the same as a gallon of trans/hydraulic oil.

Good to change it when you get a new tractor as the old owner often lets maintenance slide. Change it now and again every two to five hundred hours.

good luck! Nice tractor!
rScotty

/ Transmission Fluid for standard 8 speed
Hey thanks. Looks like hydraulic fluid is what is in there now. Clear and thin.

/ Transmission Fluid for standard 8 speed #4  
Tractor fluid and hydraulic fluid look about the same. Some tractor fluids are colored, others are clear like hydraulic fluid. They even smell about the same. Tractor fluid is basically hydraulic fluid with additives to make wet clutches and brakes happy.

Safest bet would be "premium" tractor fluid. Chevron THF1000 is good. Also Mobil Delvac (used to be 424). Or you can get the premium stuff from TSC.

If you don't have the service history you should change the fluid and filter.

Top of the fill cap would probably be too much. There should be a dip stick or sight window to check the level. Make sure the tractor is on level ground when you check. The "tank" is long and narrow so a change in angle of the tractor will make a big difference in the level at the back which is usually where you're checking the level. Fill and check with the loader bucket and 3pt down so their cylinders have less fluid in them.

/ Transmission Fluid for standard 8 speed
Found the sight window. It's all good. Thanks for the help.