transmission/hydraulics - dumb question

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #11  
Kubota must have dropped the top oil fill when they built mine, the engine is so far back under the hood it's a pain to get at the best of times. As mentioned, there are 2 (count 'em) engine oil drain plugs, one on each side of the front drive shaft tunnel in the oil pan.

The hydraulic level check point is on the lower left side of the transmission, below your left foot. A fluid level should be visible in the glass with the engine stopped and the tractor sitting dead level. There's a white background in the check glass, it may be hard to see fluid. The fill point is behind the seat, red plastic plug. Trans and hydraulic oil is one and the same in the L3400.

Assuming yours is a 4 wheel drive version... Check your front axle fluid level soon, there's a million Kubotas that are running as we type with too low a front axle fluid level. There's an issue with how slowly the fluid gets to bottom of the bevel gear cases, and it results in a low final level in 9 out of 10 tractors sold.

The manual will show you how to check it, same as a rear wheel drive car really. There's a small check plug on the front of the axle, as well as a larger fill plug. You remove the check plug, then add fluid at the fill plug until it comes out the check plug. Re-check it several days of use after refilling, it will probably be low. Mine was over 2 quarts low after changing the oil.

And finally, welcome to the Kubota L series owner's society!! We've come to love them dearly, even with the much-talked-about, universally-despised and greatly-bemoaned jerky 3 point hitch..

Sean

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #12  
And finally, welcome to the Kubota L series owner's society!! We've come to love them dearly, even with the much-talked-about, universally-despised and greatly-bemoaned jerky 3 point hitch.

:laughing::laughing:
We do go on about that hitch don't we! when in fact for 90% of the time it doesn't even matter. Just a small aggravation. But I will say it has stopped me from buying a boom pole:mad:. Have thought about making one for my SSQA on the FEL.

James K0UA

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #13  
And finally, welcome to the Kubota L series owner's society!! We've come to love them dearly, even with the much-talked-about, universally-despised and greatly-bemoaned jerky 3 point hitch.

We do go on about that hitch don't we! when in fact for 90% of the time it doesn't even matter. Just a small aggravation. But I will say it has stopped me from buying a boom pole:mad:. Have thought about making one for my SSQA on the FEL.

James K0UA

I'd like to dangle the design engineer responsible for the L series 3 point hydraulics from said boom pole, and try to raise him slowly with a strap around his scrawny neck..;)

Sean

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #14  
I'd like to dangle the design engineer responsible for the L series 3 point hydraulics from said boom pole, and try to raise him slowly with a strap around his scrawny neck..;)

Sean

Now that funny, I don't care who you are!

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question #15  
Teg I think he is ok, I believe the one on the top is also an oil fill for when the engine is used in Marine applications. I am sure he has already run it many hours since the oil change.

James K0UA
:eek::ashamed::p Went out to look at mine and sure enough an oil cap on top!!! :D so i deleted the post you commented on :)

Other things to look for... if the steering or FEL gets a bit jerky, the hydraulic return hoses crack and allow air into the system. If you think the ride is rough... check the suspension seat to see if it's locked up (and I'm not talking about the two little springs either ;)) Enjoy the tractor...

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question
Fantastic! Thanks for all the great help! That explains a lot.

I have more questions (already) but I'll post them separately.

Thanks again!

/ transmission/hydraulics - dumb question
...by the way Chilly807, you were right the front axle was low by about a quart!